Upstand behind hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to fit 70mm high laminate upstands behind an induction hob?
Bearing in mind induction hobs stay relatively cool and heat only the pan.
Have looked about for info on this and although opinion seems to differ general opinion is that it will be ok.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Proximity to hob is the key dimension, recommended 100mm minimum for surfaces damaged by heat.

Proximity to hob is the key dimension, recommended 100mm minimum for surfaces damaged by heat.

Ok thanks. Is that 100mm from the hob frame as it were or 100mm from the heat ring bit if you know what I mean.

Probably from heat source [ring] , depends how carefull you are, easier with electric than gas.

Sponsored Links
Worktop and hob now fitted and I have 70mm from the heat source to the upstand if it was fitted. Maybe a bit too close.

Worktop and hob now fitted and I have 70mm from the heat source to the upstand if it was fitted. Maybe a bit too close.
Instead of starting a new thread I wanted to ask; any issues with this? I’m in a similar position myself.

I tiled mine in the end. However several times after doing that I put my hand on the tiles behind the largest heat ring after it had been on for a good 50 minutes with a large pot on it and there was minimal heat transferred to the tiles.

Yes you can fit a laminate upstand behind an induction hob. The minimum distance from the face of the upstand to the hob cut out at the rear is 50mm. But this depends on the depth of your work top.

If you have a handled kitchen the worktop should over hang the carcass by 40mm. From the front of the worktop measure back minimum of 60mm. The hob cut out depth is normally 480/490mm.

If you have a 600mm top 490 + 60 = 540mm which means you will have 60mm of worktop at the rear remaining, upstand are anything from 12mm to 18mm so you may end up with 30mm gap between the actual glass of the hob to the upstand, I don't think this is a problem.

Alternatively stop the upstands short and put a splashback/backslash in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back