upvc door lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a yale lock on a upvc door.
the key does not turn the lock in the barrel.
I have tried inside and out.
the handle still releases the bolts and secures the door. this happens if the door is open or closed.
i have tried the spare keys and other peoples keys to the door so it is definetley the right key.

any advice or guidance would be appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
remove the cylinder and get a new one.

If you know any vandals or naughty children they might have put glue in it. However this would usually only jam the outside cylinder.

Post a photo of the lock inside and out and see who knows another cause.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

thanks john i dont know how to remove the cylnder, even when i removed the retaining screw it was stuck firm.
I will upload pics tomorrow ( the door is at my grans).

The cylinder wont come out unless the lever is rotated inline with the cylinder

Sponsored Links
If you can't turn the plug in the cylinder, then you can't remove the cylinder without a destructive approach. Could be a faulty cylinder or a fault on the mechanism. Best left to a local locksmith to minimise the possibility of further damage.

thats exactly whats happening the plug in the cylinder wont turn. I have tryed WD40 but it's not helped.

If the keys don't fit, you are looking at a new cylinder anyway.

Drill it out

Drill a 5mm hole along the line where the pins will (ie just above where the jagged edge of the key will be) and then turn the barrel with a screwdriver

If you drill there, you'll do nothing but bugger up the cylinder leaving the pin bottoms intact. Drill too far and you'll damage the cam. As said before, leave it to someone who's done it many times. If it turns out to be a faulty mechanism - what are you going to do?

maybe your gran had the cylinder changed to keep her pesky relations out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back