Upvc door with multi point lock handle stays up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi handle sometimes doesn’t spring back to horizontal after lifting up to lock door,any help on what to try ?

Sponsored Links
I think you need @ronniecabers to answer...

My mum's backdoor has the same problem. Removed the guts of the lock and a spring had snapped in the main lock.

I think you need @ronniecabers to answer...

My mum's backdoor has the same problem. Removed the guts of the lock and a spring had snapped in the main lock.
Thanks that’s why I asked here don’t want to remove the handle thinking I can fix it and it’s something else

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like the internal springs have broken. Depending on the lock type you should just be able to change the gearbox BUT just whip the handle off and check the springs for the handle, occasionally those break keeping the handle from returning properly ( my moneys still on the gearbox though lol )

Sounds very much like the internal springs have broken. Depending on the lock type you should just be able to change the gearbox BUT just whip the handle off and check the springs for the handle, occasionally those break keeping the handle from returning properly ( my moneys still on the gearbox though lol )

My mum's doesn't have springs in the handles. Do they normally?

Some of the older ones didn't, most new ones do though. The older ones relied purely on the springs in the gearbox to return the handle to its ' central ' position. Sometimes it's possible to put springs cassetes in the back of the older style handle to alleviate a 'floppy ' handle ... admittedly it's masking the main problem but usually its enough to get things working again

Some of the older ones didn't, most new ones do though. The older ones relied purely on the springs in the gearbox to return the handle to its ' central ' position. Sometimes it's possible to put springs cassetes in the back of the older style handle to alleviate a 'floppy ' handle ... admittedly it's masking the main problem but usually its enough to get things working again

Top man, many thanks.

Can you provide a link to possible spring cassettes?

Just search the likes of evil Bay for upvc door handle springs, there are various types so you'd need to see the different ones and determine if they'd fit you handle

Just search the likes of evil Bay for upvc door handle springs, there are various types so you'd need to see the different ones and determine if they'd fit you handle
Can I ask if it’s the gears as mentioned what’s the fix ?

If its the gears you may be able to replace the actual gearbox , potentially on the faceplate will be the makers name. Failing that you'd need to take handles off , cylinder barrell out and then unscrew the main locking plates to remove the entire lock to ascertain which gearbox it is... which will require some research. If you are not comfortable doing that then get a company in who do upvc repairs to existing windows/doors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back