UPVC Fascia Boards & Slate Roof

Hi Alastairreid, thanks for your response. Yes the slates are nailed onto sarking boards. It would be nicer to keep what we have, as it is aesthetically nicer to look at, but a lot of wood would need to be replaced and it would require painting every few years which we would end up paying someone else to do anyway. The costs over time might be more than having the UPVC?
Sadly we have struggled to get people to come out to quote, not sure if it is the location or if people are very busy at this time of year. It would be nice to go by recommendation, but none of our neighbours have had UPVC installed and we don't know many people in this area yet.

Sponsored Links
Hi bobbins . now you’ve shown pic , your 5 grand quote is a better price but you really need to see reviews of there previous work because of no guarantee , it’s all well and good the product lasting and being guaranteed 10 years but it’s the installation guarantee that you really need , problems ( if any )!will be with installation rather than product

, also you said builder said about cutting off rafter feet so it won’t interfere with inverted soffit and window ?seems odd. reason I ask If builder puts soffit straight to rafter whether he cuts bottoms off or not the soffit will still come to same place. If you put a straight edge up the rafter and follow the line down to front of rafter it will show you it’s the rest of the rafter that’s governs the front ,so cutting front won’t matter because it can’t lift , if you get what I mean ?

Sponsored Links
Now that is a great idea Alastareid they’ll definitely know someone decent

Again thank you all so very much, you have helped enormously. We will ask for recommendations. Eurocell was one of the brands this chap mentioned, but then said he would use GAP ltd. The not having a real warranty is what is putting us off the most. He might be really great, but then we have no idea. The website for this company looks decent enough, there are reviews, but you don't know if they are real. One thing which rang alarm bells was when we asked him for his details as the workmanship warranty is with him, he seemed agitated by the question and all he said was that he was renting a place somewhere. The warranty is not backed by anyone and he did say 'you trust me 100% and I trust you 100%, that's how it works'. I feel uneasy about that.

If your local council runs a 'trusted trader' scheme, that can also be a good way to find tradespeople. They're vetted (to varying degrees depending on the council) and customers can leave feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back