uPVC filler for re-drilling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

First post after searching these knowledgeable forums for a solution to my issues.

I have a pair of French doors that were left flapping about in the wind. The bottom hinge (of 3) of the main door pair was ripped from its fitting. Whilst the hinge and all but 1 of the screws were undamaged, I screw the hinge back in as the screw holes are now too big to thread.

I'm guessing that the best way to repair is to fill the holes, sand down and re-fit the hinge into the same screw locations. Can anyone recommend a uPVC filler/glue/substance that can be drilled and secure enough to refit the hinge or any other methods that I can use please?

Ive uploaded a pic if it helps!

Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
You'll be lucky to get anything to bite the pvc now even after a repair.

Not sure how competant you are so don't take it the wrong way but personally i would do a pvc repair but being trained in smart repairs to pvc i can make it sound easy, what i would do is remove the hinge from the door and frame and fill all the holes with Galv X filler, sand down starting with 80 grit wet n dry and ending with 800, prime and re-paint, then reposition the hinge say 10mm higher, it'll cover most of the repair and you'll be biting into fresh steel.

Not quite the easy repair I was hoping for!

I'm not really the handyman type; I didnt know that it wasnt just uPVC that I would be screwing back into.

Looks like I'll have to get someone in.

Thanks for the advice Crank

Not the best possible repair I'll admit, but I got around this one recently by carefully drilling 5.5mm holes right through and using stainless 5mm bolts.....two of them needed to be countersunk for clearance.
Maybe its worth a thought, but crank's method is by far the best.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it a bit more what you could do is wind the hinge up, take a look under the hinge pin, flick the white cap out and with an allen key turn it clockwise as though tightening a bolt, these are used to wind the door up but with that hinge not being screwed to the door it will move up independantly, think you'll have about 7mm of adjustment so then you can refit the hinge back to the door a bit higher up.

Ok you'll have no adjustment left on one hinge but you can still support the door on the other hinges if the door needed lifting in the future

Crank - I did as you said; I am able to wind it up a bit so that I can get to some fresh stuff! However, there are 2 small, smooth bolts protruding (forgot about them!). I have no idea how they are fixed into the door and look like they will need relocating in-line with the hinge. Any ideas? Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back