uPVC window jammed by loose screw in bottom rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My uPVC window has suddenly become jammed. The lock mechanisms seem to slide out of, and the window opens about half a cm, and then seems to jam in the centre area below the handle (where there are no locking mechanisims).

I have used an allen key and figured out that the locking mechanisms are in the open position, so have ruled them out. Then, moving the allen key along the bottom frame, it gets stuck where there are screws in my other windows (please see images of other windows). My only guess is the screw in the bottom rail has become loose, and is jamming the window from opening.

Can anyone offer any help on how I can either get the screw out or back in so that I can open the window to inspect it? Thanks!

Attachments

• jammed_window_when_open.jpg
    jammed_window_when_open.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 57
  • identical_working_window.jpg
    identical_working_window.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
If you push out on each corner one at a time do they move? I only ask because in the first picture I can see that you also have shootbolts that slide sideways, its very common for one side to fail and stay engaged while the other disengages

@crank39 Thanks for the suggestion. I've just given it a go. It seems both sides have a bit of movement, but kind of pivot on the centre, which still suggests to me that it's around the centre that it's jamming.

Sounds like it then, so I'd get a scraper or a lever of some sort and push down opening the two sections apart, If a screw has dropped out it can only be fouling the ribs on the plastic transom

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The problem is the the screw hasn't fallen out. It's just loostened. So it's sticking out far enough to not let the window open. The only way I can see to solve this is to somehow remove the screw or screw it back in - but so far this seems impossible.

Can you get the short end of a small allen key, (or something else with a small angle on it such as a spatula), to slide up from outside, locate the top of the screw and try to push it in a bit.
I admit it may be fiddly, and take some patience, but it may save damaging the trim if you can do it. Once pushed down, (it shouldn't need to go all the way in), you may be able to get the window open and repair it.

What about taking the glass out so that the frame has a bit more movement available?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back