Upvc window trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I would like to know are the ugly trickle vents on upvc windows essential. This afternoon I spoke to local building regulations regarding trickle vents.

He said that trickle vents are no longer a requirement as long as there is a night latch on the windows. Apparently this is a new local government ruling publicised in the new Buildings Approved document F effective march/april 2007.

I briefly checked this document online and I couldn't find reference to this ruling. Can someone please shed light on this subject. On my existing windows I have no tricle vents but night latches. I don't fancy having trickle vents fitted. All help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I had the same discussion with building regs officers. Having fitted a window (no vents) which has the option to lock off with a small gap open, they said that it was not against building regs but was against advise from the police if it was on a ground floor window. There was no arguing with them and I had to have trickle vents added.... ho hum.

Sponsored Links
Hi All

I would like to know are the ugly trickle vents on upvc windows essential. This afternoon I spoke to local building regulations regarding trickle vents.

He said that trickle vents are no longer a requirement as long as there is a night latch on the windows. Apparently this is a new local government ruling publicised in the new Buildings Approved document F effective march/april 2007.

I briefly checked this document online and I couldn't find reference to this ruling. Can someone please shed light on this subject. On my existing windows I have no tricle vents but night latches. I don't fancy having trickle vents fitted. All help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi All

Thanks very much for your positive input. I visited my local planning office this morning and spoke to Building control officer serving my area. He was ever so helpful and confirmed that it is no longer a requirement for having trickle vents as long as the windows have night latches.

He also said people tend to blank vents off. That is not what they were designed for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back