US Style recessed downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if deep recessed downlights that accept R60 reflector or Edison screw energy saving bulbs are available in the UK. It seems like you can only get small halogen downlights or R60 "eyeball" lights, but I find the GU50 bulbs and their low-energy equivalents are either glaring or too dim and dingy. I want these type of domestic "can lights" common in the US: http://www.tizaro.com/lighting/track-recessed-lighting-fixtures/recessed-lighting-housings-kits/ for my upstairs bedrooms
They are rated up to 120v 150 watts (equivalent to 240v 60watts)-could I use these on 240v? They are much better quality than anything you seem to get here, but is there a UK equivalent? (they are nice and deep, providing a wide pool of light without the glare)
any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
No, this website is a Chinese site that ships products primarily for the US market, but also free to the UK, so all electrical fittings are rated at 110 volts

Sponsored Links
Do the US ones only look like that because there is no lamp in the picture?

It's the fitting that's recessed, not the lamp.
Anyway that will negate your desire for a wide pool of light.

Do the US ones only look like that because there is no lamp in the picture?

It's the fitting that's recessed, not the lamp.
Anyway that will negate your desire for a wide pool of light.
Because the fittings are deep and lined with reflective metal, the bulbs are deep up inside the fitting so there's no glaring lightbulbs protruding down. The effect is like this: http://rowhouserenovation.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sills-009.jpg
for instance in this one: http://www.tizaro.com/product/LI1K3F/lithonia-lk5mw-recessed-lighting-housing-incand-white you can see the fluorescent reflector lamp

If I did just get the American ones, they would work fine on 240v with UK equivalent 60w or less bulbs though right? As the voltage is 110v, the current is higher, so a 60w bulb is equivalent to 150w in the US, the connection wires are 1.5mm (14 gauge), so no problem right?

I think youi will have a few problems. Including:

Not type approved for the UK market

Probably no earth connection. Not sure about this but I believe that US don't bother with earthing for lighting.

I believe that the US lamp screw thread is different to the euro E27 etc type.

Probably no earth connection. Not sure about this but I believe that US don't bother with earthing for lighting.

Actually, they are earthed and the screw thread is exactly the same as the E27 type. What I was thinking, is, does a 110v 150w bulb give off the same heat as a 240v 60w halogen/tungsten bulb? (Even though I'd probably use 15w R80 CFL reflector lamps anyway)

60watts is 60watts. Its the product of VOLTS x AMPS. eg the amount of energy consumed by the lamp.

The amount of light given off will be different to the power rating of the lamp.
An incandescent 15watt lamp might be enough to light the inside of a fridge, but a 15watt LED lamp could light up my entire garden.
That is why lamps are now rated in LUMENS.
Read all about it here
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls_lumens

Actually, they are earthed and the screw thread is exactly the same as the E27 type. What I was thinking, is, does a 110v 150w bulb give off the same heat as a 240v 60w halogen/tungsten bulb? (Even though I'd probably use 15w R80 CFL reflector lamps anyway)

The US uses E26 screw threads, a E27 bulb would not fit, unless of course these really are E27 in which case a US bulb probably would fit but would be loose and floppy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back