Use of Aquapanel on brick wall of new shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building shower base into a corner of a bathroom that previously had a corner bath. The shower will be contained by a 2500(h) x 1000(w) corner area of brick wall (exterior wall of house), 2500(h) x 1200w interior brick wall and lastly a 2500(h) x 1000(w) stud wall. I am planning on using Aquapanel from Wickes for the stud wall and interior brick wall (which will in fact be a made into a false wall to conceal pipework/shower valve), but am not sure if I really need to use Aquapanel (set on battens) on the exterior wall of the house, as I have removed the plaster from this brick wall and intended to have it replastered. I was thinking (to save cost mainly) I may as well just tile directly onto the new plaster base coat. Does this sound ok?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No need to use backer boards if it’s not in a wet area. Could use Moisture Resistant plasterboard & tile directly onto that but it must be primed to accept plaster skim.
as I have removed the plaster from this brick wall and intended to have it replastered. I was thinking (to save cost mainly) I may as well just tile directly onto the new plaster base coat. Does this sound ok?
You should not tile directly onto Thistle base coat plasters, with the exception of Dry-Coat; you can tile directly onto sand/cement render base. If you use render/plaster base & finish plaster, you must leave it for 4 weeks to dry out before you tile.

thanks. The area will be a wet area i.e it will be in the corner of the room with the shower cubicle. The whole of the exterior wall has had all the old 1930a plaster taken off back to brick and I will be tiling the whole wall, mainly for aesthetics, but I was just wondering whether the area of this wall where the shower cubicle is going to be needs to be treated any differently

No need to use backer boards if it’s not in a wet area. Could use Moisture Resistant plasterboard & tile directly onto that but it must be primed to accept plaster skim.
as I have removed the plaster from this brick wall and intended to have it replastered. I was thinking (to save cost mainly) I may as well just tile directly onto the new plaster base coat. Does this sound ok?
You should not tile directly onto Thistle base coat plasters, with the exception of Dry-Coat; you can tile directly onto sand/cement render base. If you use render/plaster base & finish plaster, you must leave it for 4 weeks to dry out before you tile.

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/quickset-render

Sponsored Links
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/quickset-render[/QUOTE]
Not familiar with BAL Quickset Render at all; interesting looking product but my thoughts would be;
Has only a 30 minute pot life which is short for a render/plaster & could catch out even an unsuspecting spread out let alone a DIY. Going to be an expensive solution compared to conventional sand/cement render but if you really can tile over after 2 hours :!: I’m unsure how covering even a 6mm render base that quickly wouldn’t trap moisture which is the risk with conventional render/plaster finishes but if BAL say you can :confused: . I suppose you could skim the walls with Rapidset but it is around 50% more expensive again.

If it’s a wet area you can use Aquapanel as you’ve done on the rest; Knauf don’t recommend dot & dab but it can be done quiet successfully, see previous thread for explanation;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1142406#1142406

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/quickset-render[/QUOTE]
Not familiar with BAL Quickset Render at all; interesting looking product but my thoughts would be;
Has only a 30 minute pot life which is short for a render/plaster & could catch out even an unsuspecting spread out let alone a DIY. Going to be an expensive solution compared to conventional sand/cement render but if you really can tile over after 2 hours :!: I’m unsure how covering even a 6mm render base that quickly wouldn’t trap moisture which is the risk with conventional render/plaster finishes but if BAL say you can :confused: . I suppose you could skim the walls with Rapidset but it is around 50% more expensive again.

If it’s a wet area you can use Aquapanel as you’ve done on the rest; Knauf don’t recommend dot & dab but it can be done quiet successfully, see previous thread for explanation;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1142406#1142406[/QUOTE]

never tried it on a full wall rich. ;) .got 2 bags as a freebie mate, just used it to infill raggles in walls.
nice and easy to mix and apply.

if i have to use it on a full wall etc..and the client can afford it :LOL:
i will post a thread and let you know how it goes bud.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back