Use of old copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Does anyone know firstly, if it's possible to use old pipe that has been lying around outside for sometime. It's unused and undamaged, but just a lot duller than new pipe.
Secondly, what is the best method for cleaning the ends before soldering.

Sponsored Links
If you use it for potable water, you should clean the inside, the looks of the outside don't really matter.
Solder as normal.

Excellent point, I didn't even give the inside a thought, who knows what's crawlled in there, eeuugghh !!!
I presume then that a good wipe and a coat of flux would suffice for jointing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No cleaning it with wire wool first?

I thought that was always recommended before soldering it, wiping around the pipe rather than along it.

if you need to clean the pipe use non metalic abrasive sheets, from plumb centre etc, not the done thing to use steel wool now as fragments of steel wool get everywhere and rust

if you need to clean the pipe use non metalic abrasive sheets, from plumb centre etc, not the done thing to use steel wool now as fragments of steel wool get everywhere and rust

Thanks Kirk, you just blew my chances of selling a magnaclean. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back