Use Of Old SWA in new Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In an new commercial install, we are planning on using an existing swa fed from the main supply to feed one half of the building. This cable was made in 1988, would you see any issue in using this cable. It gives a insulation resistance of around 300Mohms. I am just wary of the age of the insulation breaking down in the near future.

Sponsored Links
In an new commercial install... would you see any issue in using this cable...

Also depends on what you priced for. If you were working on one of my contracts for a new install, and re-used old cable or equipment without prior agreement then I wouldn't be best pleased. You'd be told to rip it all out and do the work again, and you'd probably also be crossed off the list as far as future work was concerned...

I presume this cable is already in place? ultimately this is a descision that should be made by the customer, do they want a full rewire now or are they ok with you reusing existing bits that are still in appropriate condition.

Sponsored Links
aside from the points already made about if the customer has asked for it to be ripped out i think you need to make a judgment.

you state the IR's between conductors are above 300M ohms which i would consider as excellent readings. also what are the cable like visually? junks missing anywhere? glanded ok? any signs of rusting on the armour?

all things you should be considering when assessing whether its fit for use. the factory where i work has many swa cables probably older than what you have running submains ect. when i work on the circuits i simply cant justify replacement of the cable on age alone. replacement of some of these cables would cost thousands of pounds and would be an absolute nightmare to run in. i prefer a process of regular testing and inspecting to assess condition and replace if i think its required.

why not contact manufacturers if they are still going, they may offer advice, they may not. but 20 year old cable may still be perfectly fine to leave in place, just depends how hard a life its had.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back