Use of putty to seal Bath / basin waste.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...last time I fit a bathroom suite, some 25 years ago, I seem to remember that I used putty to seal the waste, It obviously worked ok because I have taken everything out and it's all as dry as a bone.

I am refitting the bathroom, what is the modern equivalent of putty?
Do I use silicone or a non setting mastic?

Also...what do I use to lubricate rubber seals?

appreciate any advice.

many thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
sticks like s**t is good for this scenario and is also white. there is also flexibility after the product has cured.

whenever possible, it is a good idea to fit and seal the wastes a good few hours before fixing the suite.

He's describing Silicone - and I'd agree, it's better than the putties.

Sponsored Links
Mike, you can also buy clear silicone which is excellent if you dont want a coloured one. My plumber used clear in my bathroom , around the bath , around the corners and around the pedestal and toilet to seal all that aswell and you cant see it at all and also he siliconed the edges of my flooring. Which is excellent as no water can go down the edges. Clear silicone is wonderful ....... :D

this is the stuff,
sticksio6.jpg

p.s. it is even tolerant of moisture something that regular silicones hate, as it says on the tube. ;)

all plumbers should be armed with a tube of this stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back