useless college lecturers

Carloss said:
hmmm, i see what you mean...

What about the resistance in your body.....? say i had moisture/wet hands.. i would still not get a shock?
if there is no earth, meaning to way for current to get from earth to neutral/transformer, its impossible to get a shock. think of SELV.

Carloss said:
While i am here... just done 2nd fix in a kitchen today.. the fuseboard was very very neat.. however there was no RCD just a main isolator (tnc-s earthing system ) and BS1362 breakers ... does this mean a certificate cannot be issued becuase it does not meet the requirements? if so should i put a small contactum board next to it with an rcd + breakers and then tap into the main fuseboard and use a 60A breaker? This is cheaper than saying to customer they need a new fuseboard...then have to do test+inspect on all circuits (part P comes in)blabla... whats your opinion on this?

carloss

if you have to ask this, i doubt you should be givin certificates (or even the work)

Sponsored Links
andy said:
Carloss said:

What about the resistance in your body.....? say i had moisture/wet hands.. i would still not get a shock?
if there is no earth, meaning to way for current to get from earth to neutral/transformer, its impossible to get a shock. think of SELV.

thats the theory and it works well for small systems. Unfortunately as the system gets larger it starts to break down due to faults and leakages in other parts of the system. That is why unearthed transformer outputs are not used for normal electricity distribution.

plugwash said:
andy said:
Carloss said:

thats the theory and it works well for small systems. Unfortunately as the system gets larger it starts to break down due to faults and leakages in other parts of the system. That is why unearthed transformer outputs are not used for normal electricity distribution.

i know. but the original question was from the diagram and all bein located close together, with no connection to earth. so from that POV, you couldnt get a shock unless you touched both conductors at the same time

Carloss said:

While i am here... just done 2nd fix in a kitchen today.. the fuseboard was very very neat.. however there was no RCD just a main isolator (tnc-s earthing system ) and BS1362 breakers ... does this mean a certificate cannot be issued becuase it does not meet the requirements? if so should i put a small contactum board next to it with an rcd + breakers and then tap into the main fuseboard and use a 60A breaker? This is cheaper than saying to customer they need a new fuseboard...then have to do test+inspect on all circuits (part P comes in)blabla... whats your opinion on this?

carloss

What the chuffing heck are you on about mate? this is the electrics section.

Advanced pottery is on another planet

Sponsored Links
carloss

don't put a contactum board in be decent - go for MK or even WYLEX

NOT contactum- have pity on the customers !!!!

it is 1361 is cartridge fuses for consumer units and domestic service fuses iirc.

Hi all,
Just back to original question which has been well answered. This isn't just academic. There are some museum photos of Queen Victoria holding the live conductor on the then new electric underground to show how safe it was. How history could have been changed with the appearance of a little fault.
Viewer

Meet me at TT's time travelling van, with an earth rod and a roll of cable...

not being able to see the original diagram the only comment i'll make is to say that it is misleading to say you will only get a shock if you are earthed or touching an earth point because the earth point may not necessarily have any reference to the live of the circuit( isolation transformers for instance), therefore the correct terminology would be to say you will not receive a shock if there is no return path.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back