Using a bath shower screen with a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking to modify my elderly/disabled parents shower
ATM they have a rectangular (approx 1000 x 680mm wide) low level tray and a fixed glass panel
The shower seat will only fit into the tray facing the fixed screen , which doesn't leave enough room for them to get in and out of the chair.
The victorian style shower valve/riser has a fixed head which needs to be modified for carer use /use by a seated bather
We 're looking to remove the fixed glass panel to allow access into the tray from the front.
The options are
1.a shower rail and curtain. Concerns are that the curtain might stick to their legs or won'r adequately keep the water inside the tray

2.an accessible half height bi/tri folding device, but seemingly still need a shower curtain as they're only about 750mm high, so it kind of defeats the object to me, plus they're pretty ugly and more expensive than a bath shower screen too. More difficult to fit and some are only suitable for level wet room floors, as opposed to a shower tray The ones I've seen are shown as a corner or alcove configuration, which we don't need/want as the tray is long enough not to need anything across the width, plus it allows carer access.

3. a 1400 mm high folding bath shower screen.
Dad will always be showered by the carer using the head off the bracket, but for my Mum who might want to use the shower seated with the head up on the bracket, do people think it'll be better to have a bracket on the end wall where the valve is, so the water will be coming from the side , and she can easily put take it on and off the bracket or on the wall opposite the screen? I suppose we could have 2 brackets.
Anyone see any disadvantages to using a bath shower screen?
We did explore the option of a bifold shower door, but that means it has to close against something, which in their case would have to be a floor to ceiling post and not sure if you can get them or just corner posts to create a corner enclosure.
Hope this isn't too confusing.
Would've posted it in plumbing and heating but that forum doesn't seem to cover bathroom fittings.

Sponsored Links
My Dad would never manage to stand up off that with no arms, plus neither of the walls are solid, so would need to be strengthened. We ( they) can't cope with major work as apart from everything else, it's the only toilet in the house and it's a small bungalow. We need a solution that doesn't involve any major disruption. We also need to be able to have the front edge of the seat as close as possible to the edge of the tray so Dad can use his Zimmer frame until he sits down. With the fixed glass screen it's just not a carer friendly enclosure, plus if anything happened while he was in there we'd struggle to get him out . Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sponsored Links
Had a shower seat when I broke my ankle, fitted in shower either way easily, maybe buy one that fits.

It would be a disruption, but you can get a flat-to-the-floor shower base that a roll-in shower chair can enter.

It's done with a slight slope and a hump, with a tiled apron in front where you can dry off (also needs a drain).

You can manage without a door if you have a good drain and splash area in front. With the addition of a door or curtain it can be used by people who don't need a chair.

There may be grants toward the cost of conversion.

Had a shower seat when I broke my ankle, fitted in shower either way easily, maybe buy one that fits.
The shower seat was provided by an Occupational Therapist. As you raise the height by lengthening the legs, they splay further out, making the base larger to maintain stability Dad's 6'3 so he needs it higher otherwise hell not be able to stand up off it. Regardless if the seat, the fixed glass panel doesn't work because a carer can't get access to assist him. Thanks.

It would be a disruption, but you can get a flat-to-the-floor shower base that a roll-in shower chair can enter.

It's done with a slight slope and a hump, with a tiled apron in front where you can dry off (also needs a drain).

You can manage without a door if you have a good drain and splash area in front. With the addition of a door or curtain it can be used by people who don't need a chair.

There may be grants toward the cost of conversion.
Yes, aware of that. There are grants but they don't qualify. The cost isn't an issue, although the council charging a 15% fee to find a contractor and " oversee" the work seems rather steep. Most council's couldn't oversee an orgy in a brothel. They want £500 up front before they even start the process and won't give any timescales. That's only for major work of course. The Handyman services only option was to remove the screen and put a straight shower pole and curtain up. Quit how he thought the pole would fix to the window I have no idea. They don't do any plumbing work, ie to change the fixed head to a flexi hose. Not that handy really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back