Using a chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to use one of these safely. the courses are stupid prices. - £450 etc. Where can i learn safely without paying stupid money?

Sponsored Links
What price a leg.....the chainsaw has to be the most dangerous machine of all time. Apparently many injuries occur to the neck :eek:
Ring around the local agricultural colleges to see what they can offer, or work with a trained operator before you apply.
You'll need the correct visor, boots and trousers too.
John :)

There is no minor chainsaw accident, you're either seriously injured or killed. One of the 3 killed in ireland during the recent storm was a punter trying to clear a fallen tree.

Whilst i agree with john and would never recommend someone to just give it a go it comes down to the use. Most chainsaw accidents are not because the user physically made a mistake such as slipping but rather because they were unaware of the potential risks of how they are cutting.

For example they are cutting a tree branch and the bar goes through a soft spot unexpectedly fast and the tip contacts a second branch which causes it to kick back towards them. Or they are cutting a fallen tree which when they cut it halfway it fractures and flicks the bar back towards them.

Loads of it is just common sense and essentially chainsaw safety is about identifying risks and planning how to go about the task. The problem is as above, without some experience some of it you just may not have considered a risk until it happens.

Cutting logs on a saw horse or loose logs less than 12'' thick on the ground is relatively low risk if you follow good practise regarding your positioning whilst using the saw and get some advice and demos from a friend with some experience. If you intend to actually fell trees, use a saw at height or cut fallen trees which may be under stress you really must get some proper training.

If you just want it for pruning trees shrubs and hedge reductions etc, get a long reach polesaw type where you are 2m away from the main danger.

Sponsored Links
Depends on where you live I suppose the courses are about £150 round me. Thing is the Correct PPE will cost more than the actual saw. But as stated what price limbs/your life.

I watch all these Alaska docs on TV, they use chainsaws like I use a pencil.
They do all the things that you shouldn't be doing.
I bought an electric chainsaw 5yrs ago,(electric so I was not tempted to go away from home).
I have watched lots of youtube clips etc.
I am cutting logs, I ensure things are as safe as possible & use it with caution. I do not wear protection & I always stand to the side of the saw.

i remember seeing one of my old bosses using a chain saw to put a dead lock in a door once forgot his drill bits

The trick to using a chain saw, is to be **** scared when you're using it - even after you've done the course. If you work on the assumption that if something can go wrong, then it very likely will, and look at each job dispassionately, then you'll live a little longer than most.

If you just want it for pruning trees shrubs and hedge reductions etc, get a long reach polesaw type where you are 2m away from the main danger.[/QUOTE]

On another topic, I keep having to repair my hedgecutters. i do force them through 10-20mm branches and they get caught on a branch so i yank them back which I think damages them. Would polesaw be better for trimming back these thick hedges?

There is no minor chainsaw accident, you're either seriously injured or killed. One of the 3 killed in ireland during the recent storm was a punter trying to clear a fallen tree.

Whilst i agree with john and would never recommend someone to just give it a go it comes down to the use. Most chainsaw accidents are not because the user physically made a mistake such as slipping but rather because they were unaware of the potential risks of how they are cutting.

For example they are cutting a tree branch and the bar goes through a soft spot unexpectedly fast and the tip contacts a second branch which causes it to kick back towards them. Or they are cutting a fallen tree which when they cut it halfway it fractures and flicks the bar back towards them.

Loads of it is just common sense and essentially chainsaw safety is about identifying risks and planning how to go about the task. The problem is as above, without some experience some of it you just may not have considered a risk until it happens.

Cutting logs on a saw horse or loose logs less than 12'' thick on the ground is relatively low risk if you follow good practise regarding your positioning whilst using the saw and get some advice and demos from a friend with some experience. If you intend to actually fell trees, use a saw at height or cut fallen trees which may be under stress you really must get some proper training.

If you just want it for pruning trees shrubs and hedge reductions etc, get a long reach polesaw type where you are 2m away from the main danger.

When you say the bar flicks back, you mean the chain/blade by the 'the bar'? And is this 'kicking back' what causes most injuries? Is it best to cut it standing to the side (not standing directly behind it) so the kick back misses u?

Depends on where you live I suppose the courses are about £150 round me. Thing is the Correct PPE will cost more than the actual saw. But as stated what price limbs/your life.

Got a link?

On another topic, I keep having to repair my hedgecutters. i do force them through 10-20mm branches and they get caught on a branch so i yank them back which I think damages them. Would polesaw be better for trimming back these thick hedges?

If your getting the blade stuck and have to uses sawing motion to get through thicker growth you may be using the wrong hedge cutter , some have wider spacing between the points which will be better on thicker stuff.
litl

Last edited:
Unfortunately that actually happened to someone on here, a relatively experienced member, just like that. just goes to show it's hard to be too careful. Take care with your life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back