Which chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a quality chainsaw mainly for chopping up firewood logs etc,nothing too big, around the 16 inch size.
Is a stihl the one to go for? budget is max £450.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Stihl and Husqvarna battle it out as the top chain saws.

Stihl have oilomatic though.

I have the Husqvarna 61 which is probably the best saw Husqvarna ever made. Still get parts for it no problem.
Their new saws don't appeal to me at all despite supposedly being more advanced.

A lot of good second hand saws out there for sale also. Its knowing how to select one that hasn't seen a roasting with no oil in the fuel mix.
Have a look here...
http://www.donedeal.co.uk/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/chainsaws?sort=AGE+DESC&source=ALL&start=180

Stihl have oilomatic though.

I have the Husqvarna 61 which is probably the best saw Husqvarna ever made. Still get parts for it no problem.
Their new saws don't appeal to me at all despite supposedly being more advanced.

A lot of good second hand saws out there for sale also. Its knowing how to select one that hasn't seen a roasting with no oil in the fuel mix.

Thanks, dont think i would ever go used for the reasons you give.

The rubber mountings failed on my husky. Being 25 years old they did ok.

So I mused over buying a new one. And when I seen what husky were offering I'd have bought Stihl.
Fitted new mountings so no neeed now. :D
If it was the choice between a 61 version and anything stihl has to offer now the former would still get selected.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Stihl MS211 range......competitive and one of the best balanced chainsaws I've used recently!
John :)

An excellent piece of kit......you are entering the professional range with that one, of course.
The quick tensioning mechanism is a better one than most but I'm not a huge fan.....prefer to use a screwdriver!

An excellent piece of kit......you are entering the professional range with that one, of course.
The quick tensioning mechanism is a better one than most but I'm not a huge fan.....prefer to use a screwdriver!

Ok will keep that in mind.

I bought an electric one, so I wasn't tempted to go out & start felling trees.
I do bring home large logs & the £80 electric copes well, I have even cut sleepers.

I think for small 16 inch and less saws echo are really good. For bigger saws i'd go husky.

This.

Also make sure you have the kit to go with, and training if you have not used one before. Chains saw trousers are buttons compared to the cost of a new leg....

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back