Using a combi boiler for central heating only replies to the guys who helped

Yes I sent the critique when the technician who was repairing my daughter's boiler fitted a replacement ( supposedly brand new ) PCB which had the same design fault ( over size holes ) as the PCB that had failed due to over sized holes. As I recall the reply from the manufacturer was they were grateful for independent confirmation that over sized holes were the cause of many failed PCBs and the PCB they sent would be one of the first to be installed. Were they still selling the old style ? I don't know, I suspect stocks of old style PCBs in plumber's merchants were not being recalled and these were being sold to installers / repairers. It was bit of a surprise to learn that the boiler manufacturer had no electronic engineers / technicians "in house" and relied totally on contract design and manufacturer for electronic modules.

Sponsored Links
Yes I sent the critique when the technician who was repairing my daughter's boiler fitted a replacement ( supposedly brand new ) PCB which had the same design fault ( over size holes ) as the PCB that had failed due to over sized holes. As I recall the reply from the manufacturer was they were grateful for independent confirmation that over sized holes were the cause of many failed PCBs and the PCB they sent would be one of the first to be installed. Were they still selling the old style ? I don't know, I suspect stocks of old style PCBs in plumber's merchants were not being recalled and these were being sold to installers / repairers. It was bit of a surprise to learn that the boiler manufacturer had no electronic engineers / technicians "in house" and relied totally on contract design and manufacturer for electronic modules.
Absolute *******s, I have a lot more experience than you ever will regards boiler manufacturers and no way in hell would they ever admit that they were at fault in any way, some employees may admit it, but absolutely no way would they officially admit to you in writing , as @PullerGas would say "you are talking pish"

Absolute *******s, I have a lot more experience than you ever will regards boiler manufacturers and no way in hell would they ever admit that they were at fault in any way, some employees may admit it, but absolutely no way would they officially admit to you in writing , as @PullerGas would say "you are talking pish"

Indeed the opening up of their liability would cost them a fortune. Kingspan screwed up a custom cylinder order for me - twice, and by mistake some Dorris on the switchboard put me through to the factory floor where one of the staff admitted they'd used the wrong grade copper - as an aside while leafing through the documents of the order. Cost them a fair few sheckles that did. I doubt very much someone designated to deal with the public would have been so liberal with the information :LOL:

Not only did they have to pay for the new OSO cylinder to be supplied, fitted and relocated, IIRC the client had to get the large utility room repainted; but I handed that side of the negotiations over to him as he was a lawyer.

Indeed the opening up of their liability would cost them a fortune. Kingspan screwed up a custom cylinder order for me - twice, and by mistake some Dorris on the switchboard put me through to the factory floor where one of the staff admitted they'd used the wrong grade copper - as an aside while leafing through the documents of the order. Cost them a fair few sheckles that did. I doubt very much someone designated to deal with the public would have been so liberal with the information :LOL:

Not only did they have to pay for the new OSO cylinder to be supplied, fitted and relocated, IIRC the client had to get the large utility room repainted; but I handed that side of the negotiations over to him as he was a lawyer.
Of course manus make mistakes and have problems on the production line and in design and manufacture , but no way would they ever admit in writing as Camberwick claims

Sponsored Links
Oh, here we go!! Another Google Warrior, no mate I don't design boilers & as installer, neither do manufacturers!! Most boiler designs are so poor they must be designed by a Primary Skool kids.
So crawl back under your stone.
I do design industrial gas burners and heat exchangers as part of our product, and he's absolutely right. Every boiler/burner setup will have an efficiency curve.

If you want to optimise the efficiency of your hot water/heating system and are prepared to spend the money then separate boilers would be a good idea.

However, modern boilers and burners are cheap to buy and efficient enough even at lower turn down ratios that i doubt you'd get your money back to cover the cost of the extra boiler in gas saving.

Of course manus make mistakes and have problems on the production line and in design and manufacture , but no way would they ever admit in writing as Camberwick claims
They could hardly deny it when presented with photographic evidence, look at the public domain comments about PCB quality in 2007.
Absolute *******s, I have a lot more experience than you ever will regards boiler manufacturers and no way in hell would they ever admit that they were at fault in any way,
I probably have far more experience in PCB manufacture than you will ever have and my approach to the boiler manufacturer was constructive critique and suggestions in how to improve the quality of the PCB which were known to be the weak point in the boiler. It was seen as the weak point as it was the most frequently replaced part. Repair could be achieved by resoldering the failed joints but these repairs would eventually fail due to the oversized hole and loose fitting pin.

Every boiler/burner setup will have an efficiency curve.

The curve of actual test results are modified by the formulae used to "convert" actual test results into the SEDBUK values. These formulae are obviously incorrect as they have recently converted actual test results to a rating that implied the boiler had an efficiency greater than 100% ( the boiler was said to have produced more heat than the amount of heat that could be produced from perfect combustion of the gas used )

The formulae used for creating the French version of SEDBUK ( "SEDBFR" ) convert the same actual test results into a value for "SEDBFR" that is different to the value of SEDBUK that is derived from the same set of actual test results.

There may be a reason why actual test results are not put into the public domain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back