using a smart tv as a dumb tv beware higher running costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a tcl 32" tv to use as a dumb tv
was really to reduce the 44w usage off the old telly and was really really pleased as consumption was 20-22w and 0.7off
now dont need wifi but decided to see if there where any features off use as it cost nothing but none where found
now i realise smart means use when switched off but was shocked by the extra around 10w more in use whether switched on or off so consuming an extra 200-250w per 24 hrs so far exceding any energy saved
i then thought factory reset but that doesnt uninstall internet it now still uses about 5w more in use and 10w when off so needs unplugging to avoid around 14 hrs at 10w
i also turned off the internet on the tv but because it was a wireless connection still looks for it

all measurements on a plug in energenie monitor through observation rather than machine recorded internal information

Sponsored Links
now i realise smart means use when switched off but was shocked by the extra around 10w more in use whether switched on or off so consuming an extra 200-250w per 24 hrs so far exceding any energy saved

I think you meant 200-250watt/hours per 24hours, and so drawing around 8 to 10w - which seems excessive. Does the TV have an 'instant on' setting, where it avoids the need to boot up, by keeping the operating system running? That might keep the wifi live.

Have you logged into your wifi router, to check it remains connected, when the TV is supposed to be off?

Unplug it from the wall socket or switch it off using the wall socket switch. It is a good idea to do that anyway because of the, very small admittedly, risk of fire.

I think you meant 200-250watt/hours per 24hours, and so drawing around 8 to 10w - which seems excessive. Does the TV have an 'instant on' setting, where it avoids the need to boot up, by keeping the operating system running? That might keep the wifi live.

Have you logged into your wifi router, to check it remains connected, when the TV is supposed to be off?
the best i found was to look for wired connection and search so nothing found to get the lowest possible extra use

Sponsored Links
Unplug it from the wall socket or switch it off using the wall socket switch. It is a good idea to do that anyway because of the, very small admittedly, risk of fire.
thanks with tvs i usually do i just have the feeveiw recorder boxes plugged in as they are recording content

no it individual items as in a plug into the monitor
i use a 4 or 6 way extension for multiple items
but thanks for the thought as the obvious is often missed :giggle:

ok a slight update off zero interest to most but for the interest off factual input off information the tv on standby [off ]would after some time revert to 0.7w not sure off the time span as its "the old bugger falling asleep in the chair" scenario so several hours later but worth mentioning as the difference between say 9w and 0.7 for perhaps 12hours can mean the difference between 2x and 4 times consumption when not in use

Interesting.
My smart tv remains connected to the internet as if it was switched on even when off.
I turn it off at the socket at night just out of habit, but I don't know how much energy I'm saving.
Talking about safety, I've always wondered why we unplug everything when going on holiday but leave the fridge running.
Is there a safety device on fridges preventing fire?
Or we're just taking a chance?

with a fridge you would have to defrost clean and leave open not many would choose that option especially if it had a freezer or "icebox" with food in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back