Using Adey MC3+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to flush CH system tomorrow and put in Adey MC3+ system clean.
It say it works in an Hr, but can be left in for 28 days.

Heating system not being run at moment, any suggestion how long I need to run to get mixed around the system ?
Do I need to get system hot for it to work, I could run boiler on low temp setting to get it around.
Advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Run it flat out for as long as you can 8 hours should be ok , then empty it when it is still at max temp, the chemicals work best at high temps

Wow ... can’t run it like that for 8 Hrs ....it would be melting in the house, and hate to think of gas costs.
Maybe I won’t bother with this, and just flush out.

If you have the time and ability, why not removed rads, take outside and give them a good flush through with a hose pipe. Shake, empty, fill, shake, empty, fill, repeat until running clear. Then put your cleaner in, run for an hour, flush with clean water a few times and then add your inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Wow ... can’t run it like that for 8 Hrs ....it would be melting in the house, and hate to think of gas costs.
Maybe I won’t bother with this, and just flush out.

Why can you not do what ian says.
Either you do what has been suggested or call the makers and take advice from them.
Why not cover the radiators with blankets and towels so heat is not radiated.
The chemicals have to do their work to suspend the sediment in water to be removed from the system with multiple flushes. Failing to carry out thorough flush means the muck that needs removing from the system stays in the system making the exercise a nonsense
I have often used a chemical called Frroquest/ X800 to clean systems. Failing to get the residual jungle juice out of the system results killing the pump. Have yet to kill a pump as post cleaning I carry out several fill, circulate and empty procedures

Just cost ..... to run the heating system on full (whatever temp that gets to ) is going to waste a load of fuel, that would be a serious amount of money, I simply don't have that cash to literally burn.
I suppose I could put this off to the winter - just wanted to get all work completed in the next 2 weeks.

I appreciate the input, maybe I'll forget the idea of a system clean, just flush and insert inhibitor.

Just cost ..... to run the heating system on full (whatever temp that gets to ) is going to waste a load of fuel, that would be a serious amount of money, I simply don't have that cash to literally burn.
I suppose I could put this off to the winter - just wanted to get all work completed in the next 2 weeks.

I appreciate the input, maybe I'll forget the idea of a system clean, just flush and insert inhibitor.

do you have a filter installed in the system?

if so, add this to the system, https://www.toolstation.com/central-heating-cleanser-descaler-inhibitor/p45091

once in just forget it, after a week drain the filter, then after a month drain the filter, then wait 6 months, then should just be a yearly drain.

its not as good as doing a proper flush, but better than nothing

Thnx .. but there is no filter.

if you got some spare cash i would highly recommend one, this is a cheap and cheerful one, i've fitted it and used it for a year and was ok removed a fair ammount of sludge, and it was in a less than stellar position for maximum performance, mine was removed when i had a new boiler fitted recently (i still have it just needs some 22mm nuts and olives depending on where you are you can have it), and my system only required a quick mains flush.

https://www.toolstation.com/22mm-inline-magnetic-central-heating-filter/p72401#reviewTab

Guys took your advi
Either you do what has been suggested or call the makers and take advice from them.

Did contact Adey ... they said that MC3+ only needs 1Hr of the system running to be effective, no need for 8Hr run (though it would do no harm) .. key is flush afterwards while hot. So will delay adding cleaner today, obtain a Magnaclean (as advised elsewhere in the thread), and put cleaner in after that.

Points raised here all helped get to a decision - Thnx

Got to the house, checking where I could site Magnaclean ....and found that there is ‘one’ fitted. A Spirotech MB3 ...
So drained that ... quite a lot of black sludge.
System clean in, ran it untill hot, will leave a couple of days then run to hot again and flush.

Interesting watched British Gas guy carry out annual maintenance, and he did not touch this filter .... aren’t they supposed to be checked annually at service time.

Got to the house, checking where I could site Magnaclean ....and found that there is ‘one’ fitted. A Spirotech MB3 ...
So drained that ... quite a lot of black sludge.
System clean in, ran it untill hot, will leave a couple of days then run to hot again and flush.

Interesting watched British Gas guy carry out annual maintenance, and he did not touch this filter .... aren’t they supposed to be checked annually at service time.

That's a result,

Never trust a British gas service (or other multinational) they'll do the bare minimum, enough to ensure it's safe but that it.

They don't do other things like ensure the expansion vessel has the correct pressure etc

Guys took your advi

Did contact Adey ... they said that MC3+ only needs 1Hr of the system running to be effective, no need for 8Hr run (though it would do no harm) .. key is flush afterwards while hot. So will delay adding cleaner today, obtain a Magnaclean (as advised elsewhere in the thread), and put cleaner in after that.

Points raised here all helped get to a decision - Thnx

As I have already said, cover all the radiators with sheets and towels so no heat escapes. By doing this system will stay hot, house cold and not much gas utilised other than to maintain temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back