No inhibitor period and cold clean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Closed circuit with 10 double rads, two towel rails, Adey Magnaclean Pro 2.

Yesterday, Saturday, I drained my circuit and replaced a rad and refilled along with 2x500ml of Wickes inhibitor. I have more work to do in one or two weeks time that requires more draining down after which I'll use Adey MC1 inhibitor. Is it a waste of inhibitor just for one or two weeks or does corrosion take hold in that time?

Second, the Magnaclean is picking up sludge within an hour of the pump being turned back on. So I was looking at using a cleanser chemical. However, the boiler (log gasification) is now turned off until Oct. I can run the pump CH without the boiler being on. I was looking at Adey MC3+ or the faster MC5+. Can these cleaning chemicals be used on a cold system?

The reason for cold running is that it takes 24hours to fully charge the 3000l thermal store and a lot of wood just for a clean. The boiler and 3000l tank is on a separate circuit to the house rads separated with a plate heat exchanger between the two, so I'm just cleaning and inhibiting the rads circuit.

Sponsored Links
Corrosion starts immediately, even more so when using new water as it has oxygen dissolved in it, which is removed when the water is heated.

Cleaning chemicals will still work, but not as effectively as when hot.

Most sludge will be in the radiators, so if draining down anyway it may be worthwhile to remove the radiators and flush though with water outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back