Using Block paving for a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, if its not too silly a question:- I have a garden that falls a little. At the top 1/2 I want to separate the soil borders on either side from the grass with block paving. At the bottom 1/2 I want to level it off, which will mean a small retaining wall 3-4 bricks high. Can I use the same block paving to 'top off' the top of the wall at the bottom ie use as coping? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if you don't mind the look of the blocks, with there spacing nibs and odd size, then, yes go ahead, as they are weather tolerant. only trouble is, if you build the wall twin skin, then the paviors wont quite be wide enough to act as header copings. you would have to tile crease the wall to get over this problem.

Thanks, N. It will only be single skin as its relatively short (3-4 bricks high), I plan to lay the blocks side by side, so they should easily cover the bricks. I didn't realise they are odd sizes, though, the 1 sample I have from Build Centre is pretty rectangular, if a bit sharp at the edges.

Its the weather resistance I was after, past experience has resulted in house bricks eventually crumbling due to frost/rain. Or are there some that don't do this?

Sponsored Links
block paviors are all the same size within their thickness zones. they measure 200mmx100mm and come in three different thicknesses. so if you lay two paviors side by side as you would in a twin skin wall, you end up with 100mm+ 100mm plus a mortar joint of 10-15mm =215mm. too wide for the 200mm pavior to cope. standard house bricks are designed to be twice as long as they are wide plus 15mm to cope with a mortar joint.
and yes, some bricks spall in bad weather, others, say engineering standard, don't

Ah, so thats what engineering bricks are! Thanks chaps. Is there any reason why these couldn't also be laid as edging for grass/soil (I want to have a run of the same brick from the lower wall to the upper edging)?

any engineering spec brick will do. solid staffordshire blues are great for topping off a wall, with say, a giscol beneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back