Using Geo-fix and Weatherpoint paving jointing compounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had advice from the makers of Geo-Fix that their jointing compound should NOT be used in circumstances where paving is laid onto a solid bed.

They say that this is because the compound is permeable and when used on a concrete base moisture will not be able to seep away from the joint. Insufficient drainage means the joint is "permanently immersed resulting in ideal growing conditions for moss and mould"

I contacted Marshalls and they gave similar advice with regard to using their Weatherpoint product on a concrete base.

As all the major paving manufacturers appear to recommend laying paving on a full mortar bed, there seems to be a contradiction here. On the face of it, it appears that the recommended method of laying slabs is not conducive to the use of brush-in jointing compounds!!

Grateful for any comments from those with experience of paving work.

Sponsored Links
Geo-fix is rubbish dont use it.

Of all the one part polymerics marshalls weatherpoint 365 seems one of the best. Technically a mortar bed at 8:1 or weaker is permeable but the vast majority of paving contractors i know including myself use 5 or 6:1. In reality loads of people use weatherpoint over 5:1 bases with no problems. It may have a long term affect on the pointing but pretty negligible i would imagine.

The problem is they are worried about is that the pointing stays constantly wet which can attract more moss and algae. In my experience this happens with all one parts anyway.

I would not be overly concerned putting 365 into paving laid on a 6:1 mortar bedding. If you are concerned you could bump up to a 2 part resin mortar but if the area is large there will be a big difference in price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back