Using halogen lights with dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of re-decorating the bathroom and will be putting a plastic ceiling in (cladding) I have bought 6 50w downlights to go in the ceiling and the electrician who was here doing some building work has put wiring outside the bathroom for a dimmer switch to be fitted.
Someone mentioned the other day to me that you can't use these lights with a dimmer switch, is this right?

Sponsored Links
If they are ELV fittings, you need to make sure both the ELV source and the dimmer are suitable for what you want to do (ELV source alright with being dimmed, and dimmer ok for dimming reactive loads)

In additon when dimming TH lamps, rule of thumb is to double the lamp rating when selecting the dimmer.

If they are ordinary LV lamps, then you only have to worry about the doubling bit!

TH lamps arn't really deisgned to be dimmed though, the halogen cycle doesn't work properly and lamp life is reduced a bit!

I'd be worried about recessed TH lamps in plastic ceilings though!, they'll melt!

Treat the plastic as wood. Are the fittings "F" marked?

If in any doubt, before you go ahead, contact the fitting manufacturer to ask about suitability.

I suspect it may be possible to use these fittings in your installation, but with a reduced wattage. However, I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back