Using internal door as external yard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

The door that separates my back yard and back alley is on its way out.

I have a spare internal door (the hollow type). Any chance I can use this instead with the correct waterproofing measures?

If yes, what sort of waterproof paint should I use?

Thanks in advance

CF

Sponsored Links
Hollow=mdf or cardboard core?
If so, whatever you do it won't last long.
Have a drive around and when you see a skip have a look: usually you'll find perfectly fine wooden doors, sometimes oak doors.
Ask permission and get yourself a proper door.
A couple of coats of good quality exterior paint after, and you'll enjoy an alleyway door for years to come.

You know how it is easy to punch through an internal door when in a temper?
Well within a short while people will not need to be upset at all to do this, daft idea - find something solid.
As above - look in skips - carry a tape measure and the required dimensions in the car for when you do see one.

lots of people are silly enough to pay a thousand pounds for a plastic door and throw away a solid timber one. Sometimes quality hardwood.

When I wanted doors for my shed I got a couple for nothing on Freegle, and one on ebay which I won for a pound. I felt sorry for the vendor so I gave him a fiver.

One of the doors had a quality Chubb lock with keys. I serviced it and sold it for a tenner.

If you have a roof rack and a tape measure, it's easy. They are quite heavy to lift on your own, though.

Water penetration is your enemy. Fashion a little lych roof on the gate lintel, or tack DPC to the top, and paint or treat all surfaces, especially the top and bottom.

Sponsored Links
My back gate is 18mm plywood. It was supposed to temporary. It has been in place for 17ish years.

My back gate is 18mm plywood. It was supposed to temporary. It has been in place for 17ish years.

Wow.
Do you think 18mm mdf will work if I use the same waterproofing measures?

I didn't waterproof it.

From memory it was only WBP ply.

It has become silver/dark in colour but I don't care, I can't see it from the house.

It is slightly protected from the rain but it does get wet, especially when the usual wind direction changes.

I used three cheap steel butt hinges, screwing one side to the frame and the other to the inner face of the door. I used 20mm screws on the door side of the hinge, the ends stick out by one mm.

It went up in a hurry the day that travellers moved into the park at the end of garden and has remained in place since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back