Using Lining Paper When Wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting a big job at home of wallpapering newly plastered walls, and replacing some existing wallpaper on other walls. Someone said that I need to use lining paper before the wallpaper. Is this correct? What is the purpose of lining paper? If anyone can give advise I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Lining paper basically gives you an even absorbancy rate over the whole of the surface. When you have different surfaces like new plaster, old plaster, filler etc each surface will soak up moisture from the paper at different rates, this can lead to problems with paper coming off and bubbling up.
It also help the surface to be a little smoother, but this is not what it was designed for. some people think that it will make a rough wall smooth but it wont. there is still a lot of preparation to do when hanging lining paper.
It also helps certain pattern papers from shrinkage and helps stop the joints splitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back