Using oven supply for double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating an old kitchen and am short of socket outlets.
I have a redundant cooker supply (now gas oven) which is close to the position I need a double socket. The old cooker box has been removed and I have a length I think at least 10mm cable.
Is it ok to fit a double 13 amp socket to this to supply a dishwasher and washing machine.It is on it's own fuse at the fuse box.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what size fuse is there in the fuse box? and is it an MCB or fuse?

You will not get 10mm into a socket outlet so that may well be something you will need to address

Thanks for rapid reply!!
it's on an old fuse,don't know the rating but looks quite substantial.
Could Iconnect to a junction box and then to the socket with the appropriate cable?

Sponsored Links
thats not strictly necessary, but if I had a fuseboard I would be looking at getting it changed for a Consumer Unit anyway

If you've got the funds, then go for it, make sure you get three quotes, and you would want the spark who will do the change to inspect and test your installation first to ensure there will be no unexpected surprises

Unless of course you have a spark you use and trust (still, get a price off him first)

A dishwasher and washing machine on at the same time would be in danger of overloading a double socket, albeit for short periods. They are normally rated at 20A total (depends on manufacturer).
A single socket for each would be a better design.

A dishwasher and washing machine on at the same time would be in danger of overloading a double socket, albeit for short periods. They are normally rated at 20A total (depends on manufacturer).
A single socket for each would be a better design.

Many thanks,can I take them from the existing (redundant) cooker supply?

yes you could create a radial with two single gang sockets on it though.

This would normally be on a 20a or 30a fuse, but your 10mm cable will likely have a larger fuse that will need to be downrated to 20 or 30a (assuming you dont change to a consumer unit)

yes you could create a radial with two single gang sockets on it though.

This would normally be on a 20a or 30a fuse, but your 10mm cable will likely have a larger fuse that will need to be downrated to 20 or 30a (assuming you dont change to a consumer unit)

Thanks
It is in fact a 6mm cable,will supply only a washing mashine and lights in gas cooker. what size fuse should I use, I have several spare 15 and 30 amp.Is 15 ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back