Using standard Tile adhesive over underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
About 5 years ago, I did a wet system underfloor heating. I used normal tile adhesive to stick the tiles to the concrete which was above the heating pipes. never had any probs. no tiles have came loose. I've been told i should have used expensive flexible adhesive. Reason i'm asking is I,m doing the same thing again. the floor area is 120m2 and there's a difference of £500 between the costs of the 2 adhesives. is it normal to use the fflexibleadhesive for this?? ch ch cheers Chaps. mark

Sponsored Links
flexible everytime for me due to the ufh expanding & contracting sub floors etc intermittently but just out of curiousity what is 'normal tile adhesive'?

Sponsored Links
cheers Chaps fer the replies.
aa when i say normal i meant the cheapo stuff £5 for 25kilo sack.as opposed to the flexi about £20 for 20 kilo sac. all done on my own house. I remember the Chap in the shop saying the gris ceram tiles that i was using needed the more expensive adhesive and as it was on ufh it needed to be flexi, more expensive again. Just wondering really as my underfloor heating i put in the conservatory runs stright off my radiator pipiping like another rad so the floor gets a lot of heat. It was a bit of an experiment im amazed the tiles are still stuck like the proverbial yurd to a blanket. Has anybody else used the cheapo non flexi on ufh and had it in operation for a long time ??? Acactuallyy brother in law who is the same one who messed up my floor, reckons he just adds a drop of pva and "" thats all they do with the flexi stuff"" i reckon he's not right. just look at the pics of his tilling... regards mark

If you looked on my posts you would find the pics. tile disaster.
Thanks for the stupid comment " I see your missus got the family brains!" I could retaliate with You missus has got 2 ****s and your one of them. but i wont as i would be dropping to your level.
It's a shame people make personal jibs on here, in real life i always flaten anyone who speaks to me like that. cheers

Woah, chill Mark! I was suggesting that your missus got the family brains that HER brother missed out on - no slur on you - ya muppet. Jesus, some people are touchy.
If you still feel agreeved, please feel free to contact me by e-mail and we'll take it from there.

Hi Gcol, and Chaps
I apologize to thee, am sorry i read it wrong. Big sorry from me.
I've only recently came out of hospital, I've been having some mental health problems and was sectioned for a while. I de really like to be working on my house but i'm not upto it which is quite frustrating. I get rapid cycling bi polar and swing from despair broken crying to explosive mania within a very short time. It's a nightmare and i'm sorry for my comments. but have to say thank you for explaining to me what you meant and not biting back.
so heart felt sorry from me. I gota try and chill more, i've been a pillock. Thanks everyone for all the help. all the best mark

Hey Mark,don't sweat it mate,we all lose it at times,I've been guilty of acting before I think many times in the past.Now with age I try to take a step back before acting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back