Using UPS as a temporary supply for tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a really bad idea for any reason?

I really needed to crack on with some work today, but the power was off in the area i was working.

Its a 1000VA UPS, with new batteries that i recently fitted.

It ran the multimaster no problem on and off for an hour with no decrease on the battery graph, I was also able to use my soldering iron.

I dont care what it does to the UPS, but i'm just wondering if there is any other risk?

Sponsored Links
be fine but noisy.

If you are clever enough you could put a leisure battery in parallel with the onboard ones.

Cheers Paul,

When you say noisy, do you just mean because the UPS is squawking at me to tell me to plug it in?

Would the leisure battery just add juice or would it aid the SLA batteries in some way, like helping them not discharge as deeply.

It actually works really well, very heavy though. Heavier than a 3.3Kv site transformer so will only be using if def needed!

they are usually noisy when generating 230v ac out of 12v dc if yours isn't you must have a nice one.

the leisure battery would give more hours of power not more power.

Sponsored Links
Hmm thats giving me ideas now! We throw these out every month at work when the batteries die. And they are pretty cheap. Never took any home coz' they bloody too heavy! :LOL:

Hmm thats giving me ideas now! We throw these out every month at work when the batteries die. And they are pretty cheap. Never took any home coz' they b****y too heavy! :LOL:

batteries are fetching good scrap money again;actually everything is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back