Using X400 - lockshield valves fully open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im going to drain down and put some x400 in the F and E tank in loft. Should I fully open all lockshield valves up to enable good flow throw the system? Or should I keep them balanced? In hoping to clean out a fair bit of sludge as the pump is struggling to reach the last rad in system.

Cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
completely empty the F&E tank then give it a good clean before adding anything, then draw the new mix into the system, dont just add it to the existing F&E water or it wont do anything , then forget about altering lockshields run each rad one at a time till totalyl hot all over then close at the trv and move on to next rad

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
completely empty the F&E tank then give it a good clean before adding anything, then draw the new mix into the system, dont just add it to the existing F&E water or it wont do anything , then forget about altering lockshields run each rad one at a time till totalyl hot all over then close at the trv and move on to next rad

Thanks, I've cleaned up the F and E. Then dumped the bottle of Sentinel in, then turned the mains water back on and it filled up. I've read elsewhere that I should have poured it in gradually as the water fills the F and E. Does that matter? Cheers

Thanks, I've cleaned up the F and E. Then dumped the bottle of Sentinel in, then turned the mains water back on and it filled up. I've read elsewhere that I should have poured it in gradually as the water fills the F and E. Does that matter? Cheers
no doesnt matter but you will have to drain off some water from the system now to draw that mix into the system, or it will just sit in the F&E doing nothing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
no doesnt matter but you will have to drain off some water from the system now to draw that mix into the system, or it will just sit in the F&E doing nothing
I drained down completely first, then chucked sentinel in, then turned mains water back on and then started filling up the CH system. My worry was that the x400 might sit there at the bottom of the tank not mixing in with the new water as it came in. I wondered if instead I should have done a gradual pour with the fresh water, as to let it mix it up more slowly, if that makes any sense. Sounds like I'm overthinking it haha

if you have a towel rad easiest way to get it in is to isolate towel rad remove plug at top and syphon some water out and just pour it in there

if you have a towel rad easiest way to get it in is to isolate towel rad remove plug at top and syphon some water out and just pour it in there

Decent advice will do that in future as much easier access!

I drained down completely first, then chucked sentinel in, then turned mains water back on and then started filling up the CH system. My worry was that the x400 might sit there at the bottom of the tank not mixing in with the new water as it came in. I wondered if instead I should have done a gradual pour with the fresh water, as to let it mix it up more slowly, if that makes any sense. Sounds like I'm overthinking it haha
No that is fine then, the inhibitor will dilute as it moves around the system, if you have any rads that you dont normally use open them up for a day to get the new mix into everything, what you have done is fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back