Utility Ceiling maybe rotten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently purchased a detached property and it has a flat roofed utility that backs onto the garage. Its not a massive area but my father in law painted the ceiling in that room and poked a hole through it about the size of a tennis ball very easily. It would seem that area is rotten maybe? I am no expert.

I would like some advice on what to do next?

Would the roof be leaking maybe, would the whole ceiling and roof need refitting?

Kind regards

Rob

Sponsored Links
rredford, hi.

Any chance of some digital images of the hole in the ceiling and of the top surface of the roof?

Ken.

Hi Ken

Thanks for getting back to me, apologies for the delayed reply. We have had a few builders in to check it all out. It looks like the previous occupants of the house had a leaking flat roof and it had it patched up. We could see this when we went on the roof as there were newer bits of felt and no signs of holes or wear near where the hole in the ceiling is. So they believe the hole in the ceiling is where there was previously a leak and they patched that hole up after the roof repair but didn't do a great job.

The hole was not damp even after heavy rain and its not dry rot. So we are going to patch that up and also at some point completely redo the roof, but for now its fine.

Kind regards

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back