UV prptection for overhead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know the best way to UV protect an overhead cable.

Can I simply wrap with additional insulating tape along it's length or indeed is there special UV tape I can use?

Would a layer on insulating tape have any significant affect on its CCC ? It's a 10mm2 T&E by the way.

Sponsored Links
And the correct cable is SWA presumably which is of course UV resistant.

However lets just say it is regular 10mm2 T&E how would I best UV protect it ? Could I put it through pvc conduit and then suspend that from the catenary wire ?

T&E is not designed to be run outdoors, regardless of how you plan to run it. If you put it in any form of conduit, there's a risk of water getting in to the conduit from an end or any joins, which will sit there corroding the cable, the correct answer for this is something like SWA, or perhaps Hi-Tuff as if it's overhead you don't need the armour specifically...

Sponsored Links
SWA would be really expensive if I used this for the entire run from the main CU. What if I used SWA just for the external run and connected it to the regular pvc T&E indoors. The other end of the SWA would terminat e in the sub CU. Would this be allowable and what type junction box should be used ?

I pressume a gland will be required at the sub CU. Can this go straight into the CU, its plastic, or do I need a metal box and then run from there?

Even as this is overhead I pressume teh armour would still need to be earthed ? Is this what you refer to as banjo'd ?

SWA would be really expensive if I used this for the entire run from the main CU. What if I used SWA just for the external run and connected it to the regular pvc T&E indoors. The other end of the SWA would terminat e in the sub CU. Would this be allowable and what type junction box should be used ?

I pressume a gland will be required at the sub CU. Can this go straight into the CU, its plastic, or do I need a metal box and then run from there?

Even as this is overhead I pressume teh armour would still need to be earthed ? Is this what you refer to as banjo'd ?

It would be best to run the armour its full length and bolt the glands to metal enclosures, CU's etc.The sub main CU I would go with a metal clad unit and fix the gland right onto this. You need to look into earthing and exporting the earth. What supply type have you got? I cannot comment further as I do not know what supply type you have. If it is PME and there are extranious metal objects you do not want to export the earth and go with a TNCS with an earth rod. All this needs to be tested and inspected. You do know about part P right?

You can take the SWA from the sub cu with a gland and into the house and then use a adaptable steel enclosure on the house end and run t and e through the house to the enclosure. Its a new design so I would not go with joints but you seem persistant to go down this method. The joint I would do with crimps.

Why are you going overheard and not underground? What type of building is the sub main cu in? What is the maximum demand?

Without more info its hard to help!

Edit: Other thing as well the run in the house has to be in safe zones and burried >50mm (not possible in most houses!) or go with SWA for the whole run or you need RCD protetion on the sub and that is something you will want to avoid.

Adam

As suggested above, your best bet is to use HiTuf 10mm cable.
Its much lighter than SWA for catenary supports and doesnt have an armour that needs earthing.

Install it on a warm day, its a pig to use cold..

You could use the HiTuf just on the external stretch and tyerminate onto the t&E once you get inside. Never used 10mm HiTuf but your search could start here:

http://www.electricalpricelist.com/product.php?pid=47761&nm=Cable+High+Impact

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back