When Not To Use Insulation Tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When can you not insulate a strip connector box with insulating tape ?

The reason I ask is I had a sparky over replacing a light fitting (ceiling rose). The T&E from the light circuit wasn't long enough, so he used a connector strip and some additional flex to extend the length at the ceiling rose.

I was watching him and asked him "aren't you going to wrap that in insulation tape?"...

... he wasn't best pleased that I had questioned him and responded back with a "i've been doing this for years" comment, and said that the connector strip is insulated so you don't need too... hmmmm...

Does that sound right ?

Sponsored Links
I'd never use insulation tape to cover a connector strip in a permanent installation because its a horrible way of providing additional insulation.

The individual conductors are suitably insulated from each other by the terminal block (assuming the electrician did a good job when terminating the conductors - no copper on show/scuffs or cuts in the insulation) but that is not enough for it to be pushed up in the ceiling void. For this you need a choc-box, and this provides the joint with the neccesary additional insulation and ingress protection. Please note that even this is not necessary when the connection is suitably contained within a socket/switch backbox or an appliance.

Also note that "insulation" tape isn't....

Why do you say than BAN? is it not made from an insulating material?

If its not insulating, then why is it called insulation tape?
Surely that is against the trade descriptions act ? :D

Sponsored Links
Basically in any situation where it's required to act as insulation it doesn't comply with the regulations for insulating material.

All electrical equipment needs basic insulation, barriers, or enclosures 411.2 the connector block will have to fall into one or more of those categories or the ceiling void with fall into one of those categories IPXXB (12mm) or IPXXD (1mm) depending on access will also come into play. So very big connector blocks may not comply. One would also consider cable anchorage. In the main I would think in the ceiling void the humble connector block would comply.
Ban-all-sheds is correct insulation tape will not comply as it can be removed without the aid of a tool. see 416.2.4 Note: Except in a ceiling rose. So to comply with regulations there is no point in wrapping with insulation tape. So although it does seem not to comply I can’t find anything other than in special locations i.e. fair grounds where it says it can’t be done.
Eric

The reason I ask is I had a sparky over replacing a light fitting (ceiling rose). The T&E from the light circuit wasn't long enough, so he used a connector strip and some additional flex to extend the length at the ceiling rose.

I was watching him and asked him "aren't you going to wrap that in insulation tape?"...

Does that sound right ?

If he just left the connector block floating under the floor you should call him back. It must be in an enclosure of some sort. Follow davy_owen_88's link "choc-box" to see one common type.

The correct name for the common electrical tape is phase tape and it's used to identify cables.

And with the addition of some loo roll it can also be used as a plaster. :D

With loo roll?

You must be posh :LOL:

Insulation tape is also handy for attatching cables to your cable rods when fishing it through a void etc. :)

Can tell you that most the MANWEB supply area is held together with black insulation tape and a prayer.............. ;)

Use it for a plaster? That maddness. Of course using it every saturday to tape up my ears whilst playing rugby is what it was really designed for.....the colours are so you can match your kit.....

Ah Gallion2001 you must be like me, I claim the vat back for taping down my ears. :D

Did have to use Duct tape one weekend :!: Not overly reccommended especially when a forward gets his fingers hooked under it, screamed like a girl!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back