Vacuum cleaners for dusty jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just blown my 2nd Miele vacume cleaner in 3 years, DIYing. They really don't like old plaster dust. So I decided to look for a workhorse vacume cleaner, rather than a reliable German top notch one, so I thought of a Henry. I've used them in the past at different places back in the day and although ugly and awkward, they have been bullet proof and reliable with great suction.
Unfortunately, they don't make Henry's like they used to. Whether it"s because of EU specs or something else, I'm not sure, but apparently the power has been halved from 1200w to 620w and the build quality is crap.
I'm really looking for one of the old Henry's with a two power switch, or something as reliable that can stand plaster dust, any suggestions, thanks.

Sponsored Links
This?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-165028.png
    Screenshot_20220912-165028.png
    863.7 KB · Views: 47
Henry's are rubbish due to rule requiring reduced power for domestic vacuum cleaners. The answer is to not but a domestic one - go to Screwfix and buy a 'tool'. The Titans are cheap and will suck up a Henry if it gets in the way.

Sponsored Links
Henry's are rubbish due to rule requiring reduced power for domestic vacuum cleaners. The answer is to not but a domestic one - go to Screwfix and buy a 'tool'. The Titans are cheap and will suck up a Henry if it gets in the way.
We had both. Please PLEASE do not buy a Titan. They are rubbish. We have two Henrys and they are indestructible and can suck a golf ball up a hose pipe.

I use a old Aquavac wet and dry with a cartridge filter that catches plaster dust. You can brush them clean, and finally wash with water. Keep a spare handy to swap when clogged. It looks rather like the titan and other brands, and a lot bigger than a Henry

To delay clogging, I use 30 litre paper bags as well. They trap most common dirt, but broken brick or tile will cut them. I have not seen the modern white fleece bags to fit, the material is much better than paper.

I hear Nilfisk are very good, but also very expensive

Given that none of the cheapies will be great ( a shop vac the same make costs 10 times as much, check Axminster Tools) consider one where you can get a spare hose to put on the exhaust, which you can poke out of a window. You can do that with the Wickes/Earlex ones. They blow as well, do if you do cover the hollyhocks with Thistle you can blow it off.

People seemed to use the OLD Henry without a filter because it choked, so I wouldn't go for the 620W one.
And don't touch Dysonia - cyclones are no good for fine light dust. The filter blocks in minutes.

Daughter and partner bought a henry for their building works. It is complete rubbish. My brother swears but his henry but it's an older one and you can't buy those any more. It's the new ones that are carp. When I said the Titan I meant something like it. They are classed as tools so aren't restricted by the stupid EU ruling. Having said that I've got one which I've had for donkeys and it is chalk and cheese compared to the henry and costs next to nothing.

I’ve got a Henry that’s about 12 years old, it’s modern enough to have a “hi power “ switch.

I use it for site work quite often - they are great, the cloth bags are strong and cheap, the main filter is big and it’s just so simple.

I had a water leak in my car at the weekend and I used the Henry even though it’s not a wet n dry vac. Surprisingly the filter contained almost all the water, none got through the filter.

the wife has a Hetty :)

Thank you for all the replies. They pretty much mirror my experience of review sites, all saying Henry has lost his clout.
I've emailed Numatic in Manchester, the manufacturer's of the Henry, to ask if there are any original Henry vacumer's available for sale and informing them of my research results concerning the lack of power of the new Henry's and poor build quality.
It really ticks me off when companies reduce the quality of its produce to make more money, after gaining a good reputation for producing a good product and still charge you more. It happens alot in the car industry as well.
Anyway, I don't expect I'll get much joy, but you never know, they just might wtfu and start rebuilding their reputation.

Has anyone looked at the Henry in my screenshot?

It is a refurbished model with 1200W and a high power setting.

Had a Henry years ago. Never again.
The top rotating cord winding part broke - inside are two tiny little copper tabs that are all that makes electrical contact between the moving and fixed parts. They broke off and could not be fixed as they were permanently attached into the plastic. The only possible repair was to buy the whole rotating top assembly which was 90% of buying a new one. Rubbish design, failure was inevitable.

Dysons are the ones that don't lose suction - and that's because they haven't got any to start with.

This one has the high/low switch...
I have just seen it, thank you.
On the description it states that it has a Hi/Low switch, but further down it states that it doesn't have the switch, odd.
Anyway, I'm going to purchase this one as it has the 1200w motor, so thank you for finding this for me.
Further to my email to Numatic who builds the Henry, they replied today.

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

I can advise we no longer manufacture the high and low switch Henry and have no plans to restart. This is due to the EU regulations changing and no longer allowing us to create this version.

I apologise for any disappointment.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Tabitha Liddiatt
Numatic Customer Engagement Team

Sponsored Links
Back