Vacuum cleaners for dusty jobs

I have just seen it, thank you.
On the description it states that it has a Hi/Low switch, but further down it states that it doesn't have the switch, odd.
Anyway, I'm going to purchase this one as it has the 1200w motor, so thank you for finding this for me.
Further to my email to Numatic who builds the Henry, they replied today.

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

I can advise we no longer manufacture the high and low switch Henry and have no plans to restart. This is due to the EU regulations changing and no longer allowing us to create this version.

I apologise for any disappointment.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Tabitha Liddiatt
Numatic Customer Engagement Team
See if you can pick one up on facebook marketplace / ebay? I guess if the amazon one comes and its not the 1200W they will have to refund you once returned...

Sponsored Links
I have never owned a Henry, but my first dust extractor was the next model (size wise) up in the Numatic range. The paper bags would split after 15 mins of sanding plaster or powder based filler. The bags would be less than 10% full.

I eventually upgraded to the Festool CT22, those bags were paper too, and would split after about an hour or two. I eventually resorted to scrunching up toilet paper and sucking that up before sanding. It seemed to help a little bit. I reasoned that some of the dust would cling to the bog paper rather than directly to the bag

I now use cloth bags (for a larger Festool), they don't split but I need to open the machine frequently and tap the bag to force the dust stuck to the surface to fall in to the bottom of the bag. I can get to about 50% full (on the over sized bags) before the suction level drops off too much.

Some of the more expensive dust extractors have mechanisms which tap the cloth bag periodically.

During the lock down I did purchase an aluminium cyclone in an attempt to sort out the fine dust clogging bags problem. Unfortunately, cyclones only "filter" out the heavier particles and let the fine ones past. I researched water traps, but then the pubs reopened and I gave up.

What ever you purchase, look for one with cloth bags, rather than paper. Henrys are considered domestic vacuum cleaners and subject to the lower wattage ruling, dust extractors are not (and often have the advantage of turning on automatically when you turn your attached tool on).

I've got the mid size Titan. Don't know whether the qualities dropped in the 5 years I've owned it but it's been a great cleaner. It's had a very hard life sucking brick dust from core drilling and mortar raking. It also gets used for emptying sludge from F&E cisterns. For what i paid it's been excellent value.

I've got the mid size Titan. Don't know whether the qualities dropped in the 5 years I've owned it but it's been a great cleaner. It's had a very hard life sucking brick dust from core drilling and mortar raking. It also gets used for emptying sludge from F&E cisterns. For what i paid it's been excellent value.
I've got this one. It is very, very powerful and I've had it for years, and cost me about thirty quid.

If you go that way I would advise chucking the spongy filter thingy on the skip and buying one of these:

I don't know if it's the difference but I get zero dust out of the outlet and bags fill to the brim with no issue.

Sponsored Links
Try 'Rutlands' they were selling their 30L industrial vac at a discount the other week - think they had some 'Shop Soiled' ones they were offering.

I have the nilfisk aero 26-21 wet and dry vac with blower function and pto, very long hose and lead. Its not got a hepa filter but if you're sensitive to dust the filtration system is as good. Its got incredible suction so useful for picking up brick and plaster fragments, if they're small enough they will be sucked in. Ive found it easy to clear occasional and inevitable blockages in the hose. Good quality relatively cheap cloth bags that can be emptied and re used, useful for a messy one off job.

More expensive than some but much cheaper than high end names with similar performance. And it fits on the end of my makita chopsaw.

Blup

Something to think about here : if you are buying a wet and dry hoover make sure all 4 wheels swivel.
I purchased a Titan wet and dry a few years back - Titan TTB430VAC.
The back two wheels are static which increases friction somewhat when you want to move it awkwardly.
It's fine if you want to move it forward and back in a long run, but circumstances are often the case where this can't happen.

Long story short I broke the back static wheel by being a bit heavy handed one day (my fault) and contacted KingFisher (who manufacture these hoo vers) but was told they will only deal with their customers directly (e.g. screwfix or b&q).

Screwfix was most unhelpful as the hoover has been discontinued. I was told I would be contacted by a manager but was given ''they are in a meeting excuse'' and never heard back. The wheel itself does not seem to be sold online either - although some of the other parts are sold on eBay. I've really only myself to blame for not returning the hoover straightaway when I had the chance as I realised how bad the design was when I got it out the box. I've made my own wheel to fix the problem now but I'd rather have avoided all of this by making a better choice of purchase in the first place.

So make sure all 4 wheels swivel, in my opinion.

20220915_140727.jpg

Bought this beauty. It has the 1200w motor with the 2 power switch. Bought secondhand refurbished, thanks to Securespark for the screenshot. Funny thing though. I was about to put my nearly new defunct Miele in the box the Henry came in and decided I would check yet again whether it would work, so I plugged it in and yes, you guessed it, it only burst into life in a plume of dust out of the exhaust .
Anyway, I decided to compare the suction power of both vacume cleaners and it's the Miele that has the better suction, though it was very close.
I will be keeping the Henry for DIY/plaster work.
Thank you to everyone that contributed.

Sponsored Links
Back