Vailant Ecotec Condensate Pipe Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

The pipe that cups under the condensate outlet on the boiler is leaking.

Its white plastic with couplers and bends that lead through the wall to outside

Is this what would normally be fitted or should it be some flexi pipe or silimlar?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Normally solvent weld pipe (some people call it glued).

Sponsored Links
Several times I've looked online to see if polypropylene 'push fit' overflow is approved for use on condensate, and can't recall seeing definitive advice.

Some opinions say the acid could rot the rubber seal in the fittings - but surely there are also rubber seals in the 110mm downpipes and underground pipes that the condensate discharges in to?

And inline neutralisers like those made by Salamander, Calmag or Scalemaster have rubber seals too.

Some opinions say the acid could rot the rubber seal in the fittings - but surely there are also rubber seals in the 110mm downpipes and underground pipes that the condensate discharges in to?

And inline neutralisers like those made by Salamander, Calmag or Scalemaster have rubber seals too.

There is rubber, and there is black material that looks like rubber, such as EDPM, nitrile rubber, and others. Oil rots/swells rubber, and yet many engine seals are made of a rubber 'like' material.
As my old chemistry teacher, Frankie Marsden, said, "all pennies are round things, but not all round things are pennies". If you know Frank, tell him that at least some of what he said sunk in!

^^^ Can't dispute any of the above - but it still doesn't, settle the matter of whether push fit polypropylene waste and/or overflow is suitable or approved for condensate.

If you can pull them apart easily, every chance, if not then solvent welded (it dries clear).

Ok so I had a go and they just pulled apart. There is nothing inside the couplers like a washer or rubber ring though. Should there be?

Dare I say it's sounding like they just pushed it together and that was that. In all honesty the waste from my kitchen sink (the bit outside the house, not inside) has been fitted thus for the past 15 years .. it means I can pull it apart to clean the hopper occasionally and it hasn't leaked at all - but, of course, it should really be permanently joined with solvent weld cement.

You can tell polypropylene push fit from solvent weld ABS (plastic) as the solvent weld glue won't stick to polypropylene, but it melts the ABS stuff. If you get a tub of solvent weld cement you can do a permanent job and it won't leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back