Vaillaint Boiler - Leaking! HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, did a search and got some similar results but don't want to chance anything with this...

OK. I've got a really old Vaillant Boiler..

The picture(s) attached show the boiler in all its glory (/sarcasm)

Now. The black thingy in the second picture shows what is actually leaking. However, don't be fooled by the dried up stains on the outside, it's actually leaking at the bottom of the black cyliders, closest to the front of the boiler. You can see 4 screws running along the bottom of the "black thingies", above the inside screw there is a hole that the water is gushing out of, at a measured rate of 1 litre every hour and 30 minutes.

My question is this;

1. What type of flippin' boiler is it?
2. Is this black cylinder expensive / easy to replace
3. Anything to consider when replacing it?

Thanks for any help offered..

Steven

Just a reference of piping underneath boiler

Sponsored Links
that black thing is the secondary or water to water heat exchanger, a modification is available, or at least it was a few years ago, to convert to a more normal plate heat exchanger.

Thanks for the reply Mick, do you roughly how much a replacement would cost off the top of your head?

What would a conversion req. and could I attempt this myself?

I've lost the fear, so willing to try anything!

probably around £100.
Possibly a DIY job, depends on your ability/confidence - a fixed price repair by BG or Vaillant (if they do them) may be a better option.

Sponsored Links
So do you think I'd be able to find a replacement for it and if so would you have any recommendations?

Thanks again!

as I'm a BG engineer I just order parts through our own store, if we dont keep them they are sourced by the office, we very rarely get involved with other supply companies

Although I can repair any boiler, I do have to say that my advice to customers is that it is an old boiler and the sensible thing is to replace it.

The kit perhaps costs about £100 and it takes me about two hours to do the replacement and test and service the boiler so that would make the total cost about £250. A BG fixed price repair, if they still do it, is cheaper.

By coincidence I replaced one of those three weeks ago with a nice Viessmann 100 ! About £1600 !

Tony

You probably could do it yourself if you're a bit handy. You have to do a small mod on the circuit board and alter a part in the diverter valve at the same time. Everything you need comes in the kit. You might want to leave yourself a good couple of hours to do it, I've done loads and the quickest I can do it is about 45 mins! You can get the kit from Heating Components in Felling. 0191 4381608. They're not a bad boiler as long as it's not costing you loads every year. Repair is certainly cheaper than replacement, both have their good and bad points.

btw don't worry about the modification, its recommended that its done but not completely necessary. but the worst that will happen if you don't is the new plate my scale up in a few years(if you have softer water, probably not). by which time you might well be looking to replace it anyway.

OK.. good info there..

My question is this, the part you've listed looks nothing like anything on my boiler!! Is this the mod as it looks extremely shorter than what's in place..

Anyone recommend someone in the tyne and wear area to come and do it if I get stuck?

Was just kind of hoping to do a like for like swap out as there are loads of washers there and no doubt i'd miss one...

yep its a modification. its not as bad as it looks as i said, but yes if you've never done anything like this before it might be a little tricky. for a boiler engineer its very straight forward.

Wallsend.. (Formerly known as Beruit)

I'd love to replace it, but I can't really afford a boiler / fitting costs at the moment as we're looking to move out of the flat, a dripping boiler isn't great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back