Vaillaint ecomax 824 problem

Yes (I had to look it up) there were two ecomax 824 combis, one with the 252457 hopeless diverter which usually fails CH only, and the earlier one gazza is referring to which had the more honeywell-3-port-looking DV.

It would be more than 2 years old but could be what Steve has got.

Can you find either your diverter valve Steve, or the full number for the boiler. Is there 824/2, say? Vaillant numbers are a mess!

There are parts lists of both at http://www.partsarena.net/gas/catalogs/

It calls them all Condensing System, not combi, to be confusing. The 800 series are combis.

Sponsored Links
2001 - 04 On the cusp. A 252457 though.
Can you find the DV? How big are the holes in the side - like 4mm or 8mm?
I'll look for a pic...

Anyone remember these failing in HW only position? I've forgotten!

Sponsored Links
They can stick randomly in either position or in between.

The holes in the side are not conclusive! The 4 mm holes are always the old round ball type.

The 6 mm hole type are usually the rugby ball type but they can also be the old sticky round ball type.

Tony

Nothing's conclusive about those, even the latest type can stick! Always seems to hit HW though. Motors can fail anywhere I suppose. I'm sure I've never had a complete CH failure.
They have a number stamped on the side which starts with a letter from A to (afaik) E. Expect yours is an E17.

Outside chance it's the board or connector. You could take it off and (try to ) get the top off it, or play about with an oscilloscope watching for little pulses...

If it is moving, you can see it through the holes, but that's hard!

Thanks for your help guys, for the price of a valve i'll give it a go before i call the pro's.
Cheers
Steve

I bet the impellor has come off the back of the pump either that or its the old d/valve which suffers from swollen *******. :eek:

Stan

Ha! Got one today. HW was flaky so I changed the DV, even though it's covered by BG 3* the landlord said go ahead if repairs not too dear. HW still flaky so I put it back. Leave it for BG I thought. Now the HW is fine and the CH isn't! Seems the ball has moved and stopped somewhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back