Vaillant 242 Turbomax - Leak from Diverter valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help me out.

My Vaillant Turbomax 242 boiler seems to have developed a leak from the underside. The leak only appears when there is a demand for hot water such as the tap being turned on. Had an "engineer" out recently and I mentioned that I thought it may be a faulty diverter valve or a diaphragm issue. He decided that the expansion vessel simply needed re-pressurised (the pressure had been dropping and needed topped up every couple of days). He re-pressurised the EV and off he went. Holds pressure now but needless to say the leak remains.

Can anyone help? I had a look underneath and the leak is coming from where the cold water inlet pipe enters/exits the diverter. It is right where the plastic clip is located. Is this something an amateur diy'er could fix?

If so, what is the problem and what parts do you reckon I would need?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Craig

Sponsored Links
You can get a repair kit which has all the Tmax 242 DV parts in it. You'll also need some silicone grease.

Thanks a lot Chris, is there a Part No. that I can quote for this kit?

Do I need to remove the entire DV or simply the lower part (water section)?

Cheers
Craig

Are you sure the water is not leaking from around where the microswitch mounting is? Shine a torch in while the fascia is dropped down. If this is the case you need to refurb or replace the diverter valve complete. Unless you are confident in tackling this I would contact a RGI.

If the o ring is leaking at the cold water inlet tube as you say, then the bottom section can be removed separately from the main valve. Replace the diaphragm and thrust plate, bush and o rings at the same time (Part No. 010365). The o ring for the cold inlet pipe is part no. 980149.

Repair kit for complete valve is 140352.

Whole valve is 011289

Good luck ;)

Bunny

Sponsored Links
Cheers Bunny, I'm pretty sure it is where the inlet pipe exits the valve (had a good look under initially and could see the constant drip) but I will check again tonight.

If it's just the lower section then I might give it a go, however I don't fancy the whole refurb / valve replacement idea.

Thanks a lot for your help and the useful part no.s.
Craig

Is the bottom of your divertor plastic or metal, the early ones where plastic so it may have a crack in it.
But usually it is leaking further up as has been mentioned

Cheers Bunny,

I'm pretty sure it is where the inlet pipe exits the valve (had a good look under initially and could see the constant drip) but I will check again tonight.

Craig

Thats a misnomer if ever there was one!

If it is really only leaking when the inlet pipe enters the diverter valve then it should be possible to just clean the socket and just replace the "O" ring and lubricate with silicone grease without taking apart the valve.

But if its leaking at one point then the whole valve may be in a poor condition and commercially we would often recommend a full replacement. However, as a DIY job where time and travelling are not relevant you could just sort out the leak.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back