Vaillant 415 vibrating noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I fitted a vaillant 415 in march with new cylinder pump and plan. Client recently contacted me saying each time she starts the boiler, after 5 mins of it being on (either heating or HW) a vibrating noise comes from the an area between the boiler a 1 perticular rad (she thinks its the boiler). It only happens from cold and lasts for 20 mins. Each time I arrive it has stopped and the occasion I arrived and started it from cold it did not happen, but I know it is happening because I heard it over the phone.

All the valves are new and obviously 2 way..I cant imagine it being air as the pump would be screaming wouldnt it? Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
have you checked the co2 on high/low? could be resonance. more common on the 18 tbh

sorry the 418. Don't ask me why, have had it on 418s and ultracom 18s.
Ignore the book and set the CO2 high and low at about 8.4%.

Sponsored Links
did you range rate the boiler when you installed it? as it maybe getting to much heat too quickly.

use i & + together to get d.0
press i to get = then plus or minus to output required then press i and hold until the display stops flashing.

I have had this resonance on a 418 that I had installed too.. I left it for Vaillant to sort out.. It seems to come fron the gas valve

it comes from the heat exchanger. After familiarising myself with the principal of resonance I came to the conclusion that it was the length of the heat exchanger coil which was the key factor, hence why it does it mostly on the same size of heat exchanger. Its not a major issue anyway, just requires a tweak of the CO2 value, as mentioned above.

I have had this resonance on a 418 that I had installed too.. I left it for Vaillant to sort out.. It seems to come fron the gas valve

If its only the CO2 setting then isn't that a commissioning job?

I make it a chargeable visit under the warrantee if the installer cannot set the CO2 correctly!

Tony

I make it a chargeable visit under the warrantee if the installer cannot set the CO2 correctly!

Tony

Tony, The CO2 was set as per manufacturers specs. I'm most particular about commissioning my installs. Vaillant replaced the gas valve though It seems like this was a placebo for the benefit of the customer..

No, as it can do it with the CO2 set correctly, although usually towards its upper limit. In anycase Vaillant hardly ever charge for warranty calls regardless. In fact they're one of the most generous manufacturers for installer/customer error faults in the industry, and will usually replace dirty heat exchangers FOC if the customer/installer agrees to rectify the faults.

I've only needed Vaillant to attend one of my installs but have found them to be very good and flexible to the needs of my customer... Having said that, Worcester too have proven to be very good also. Replacing clogged HEXs is very generous though the installer should hang his head in shame

I am surprised to hear that, as Vaillant clearly have the worst technical help in the industry.

I thought that just Worcester and Heatline still accept a free FIRST call to a blocked plate. Heatline used to ask for a receipt for power flushing before reinstating the warrantee after a plate change! Good tactic that !

Apparently Heatline are no longer being sold independently except through B&Q !!!

"Buy the company and close them down" ?

Some of the manufacturer's M.I. quoted CO2 settings are either not obtainable or result in unstable operation. Usually the better tech help people will know and, most importantly, will admit it !

Tony

Vaillant HE's will also make this awful vibrating noise if full of crud sitting in the bottom of the coils, especially when on full tilt.

Flush out the HE and all will be well ;)

I am surprised to hear that, as Vaillant clearly have the worst technical help in the industry.

Some of the manufacturer's M.I. quoted CO2 settings are either not obtainable or result in unstable operation. Usually the better tech help people will know and, most importantly, will admit it !

Tony

I have only needed to speak to one Vaillant techie and he was a bit of an arrogant so and so but with polite badgering I did get the information that I needed from him.

If the CO2 is set to the Mfr spec and there is an issue, then they can not argue that it is an install issue. Start making up your own specs and they would be well within their rights to walk away or bill the customer. What the service engineers do to their own make of boiler is entirely down to them, I'll do my own thing once it is out of manufacturers warranty and I take on the next three years warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back