Vaillant Boiler not turing on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason my boiler has stopped working,
vailant turbomax pro 28e, VUW GB 282/2-3 r2

no lights are on, no funny noises, no hot water or central heating

i had a guy come out to it who said it was the timing switch so i went out and bought a drayton LP711 switch, same back plate as my current switch so i didn't have to do any wiring or anything. Fitted this and tested again, same result, no lights or anything, jus dead.

read on another sight that the APS is known to go in the vaillant range, but i don't even knoe where to check this, Its already cost me £150 to get this far, any ideas?
thanks
neil

Sponsored Links
a guy come out to it who said it was the timing switch
Nice scam to get you to pay up when he hasn't a clue what's wrong with it.
Faulty timer wouldn't stop the hot water working :rolleyes:

Hasn't got switched off has it - the switch is rather floppy?

Isn't the green power light on?
If not, check the supply spur/fuse
If so, there's a fuse on the board..

Just checked the board and one of the 2 fuses has gone, i'm just on my way out to get one and will post you after i've tested it.
nice one
neil

Just so you all know, ChrisR is a god :)
just got back from 3 hours of driving around leeds looking for a glass fuse (oh my god) just tested with the new fuse, worked first time.

18p the fuse cost me :(

just paid 70 quid for an expert to look at it for an hour to tell me i needed a new switch another 70 quid and it turns out it was an 18p fuse.

can i like kill the expert now and if i did would a jury look kindly on me?

thanks again to chrisr,
neil

Sponsored Links
the fuse just blew again, but i'm wondering if im using the wrong fuse, has i look at the board there are 2 fuses one on the far right and one on the left, the fuse on the left is ok it's the one on the far right thats blowing, does anybody know what fuse i need to use here, i know its a glass fuse, but what amp? just tried 2 2.5 fuses and these have both gone. the one on the left is an 11.25 amp (i think, very small writing).
any help, would be much appreciated.
thanks
neil

the fuse is protecting the board. you most likely have a fault somewhere on boiler.check manufacturers instuctions for fuse rating. if it blows that , i suggest you get a competant maintenance engineer to diagnose for you.

there will be 2 spare fuses attached to the p.c.b. cover,on the boiler, unless they have been used already?

i've opened the front panel and had alook around near the circuit board but can't see anywhere for spare fuses?

SPare fuses are on the inside of the rear pcb cover. The mains fuse is 2A, the low voltage (20volts) side one is 1.25A.
Manual says if the fuse goes immediately it's the pump, if 20 secs later it's the fan. So check them both. Sniff them & measure currents.

thanks chrisr for the fuse ratings, eventually found two on the pcb, i was using the correct fuse size, so i've just had another guy out to look at it again, same company as before and free cause it's a recall, nice :).
anyway, he doesn't know why his mate told me to get a new switch, like you lot said if the switch was gone i would still get hot water, which i wasn't, eventually he's blown all my fuses and his, and has come to the conclusion that the boards gone, arrrghhhh, he's advised me to call vaillant and get them to do it, do you all agree or am i gonna get shafted again?
thanks everyone
neil

Stop using this maintenance company - they havn't got a clue what their doing. Never change a PCB without testing all the other boiler components first.

As Chris told you the first thing to be checked is the pump then the fan and then the gas valve.

Changing the board without these basic checks first may cost you a lot more since some gas valve faults may also wipe out the new board.

If Vaillant do a fixed price repair it may be your easiest option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back