Vaillant Cracked Sump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just had a boiler pressure drop identified in our Vaillant Ecotech plus 618 with a leak from a crack in the 'sump' (his words). Looking online I can only see whole heat exchangers to resolve the issue as opposed to a smaller and cheaper part. Photo shows crack where the red circle is - it seems to be made of plastic as opposed to metal - and seems to be bolted to the heat exchanger. Can you get this part on its own? As the heat exchanger is around £500. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• Vaillant-Ecotec-Plus-618-Heat-Exchanger-0020135129-1.png copy.gif
    Vaillant-Ecotec-Plus-618-Heat-Exchanger-0020135129-1.png copy.gif
    897.4 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
I guess you'd really call it a manifold. It's the transition from the flow/return pipework to the tube bundles inside.
Sometimes heavy handed repairs result in the pipe spigots cracking..I'm not aware of cracking in that area bit others may have seen it.
Not repairable so new heat exchanger/boiler time.
Don't be fooled by refurbished heat exchangers...due to the parallel tube design they can't be cleaned properly.

I had to replace the heat exchanger, so I dismantled it to find out the cause of the leak, those parts are siliconed together, you will damage them when separating them in my opinion. I found a large pinhole on the inner face of one of the "stainless" loops that make the heatexchanger work, cheap nickel free stainless I think it is made of.

Our 11 year old Vaillant boiler failed at exactly the same place. water was leaking from the join.
The replacement cost was so high (quoted around £750 for the part) I opted for a new boiler but kept the old one to dismantle.
The parts are joined together but it's not silicone - it's some sort of red coloured hard resin.
To get them apart was impossible. I ended up using a hammer and chisel .... you can imagine the result. Lots of wee chips of glass reinforced plastic.
Roddy

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler within the guarantee period?

If not, you might be able to take out Vaillant's Repair and Care plan and get the heat exchanger replaced by Vaillant for £420. There is also a Fixed Price Repair, but I don't think that covers heat exchangers. Maybe ring Vaillant to discuss options.

Last edited:
the red resin is red hermetite I think, and I used a hacksaw to get mine apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back