Vaillant ecotec 831 - leaking diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Vaillant ecotec plus 831 installed in Feb 2011 - installed as part of a bigger building project adding extension to house.

The diverter valve has started leaking - I have had a local heating engineer round who seems pretty sure that this boiler would have a 5 year warranty from Vaillant and hence this particular repair should be covered by them.

However, I have phoned Vaillant customer services who have informed me that at that time the boiler came with a 2 year warranty. The engineer I have dealt with seems very surprised by this and thinks I need to investigate further as he seems pretty certain that a boiler of this type should have come with a minimum 5 year warranty.

Does anyone know for sure what the length of warranty I should have received from Vaillant at that time was?

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Don't know what warranty but get the diverter fixed asap...if it's left it can take out the pcb and already expensive repair becomes huge.

Pile of German carp IMHO with extortionate parts prices :rolleyes:

Pile of German carp IMHO with extortionate parts prices :rolleyes:

You can get them for about £100 including vat! Not that expensive imo. Considering they are brass as well ;)

Re the warranty. At the time your boiler was installed the standard warranty was 2 years, but if the boiler was installed by a vaillant advance installer you would have got 5.

I'm giving 7 year warranties on those boilers now.

At 4 years old it's leaking....poorly designed and can't cope with anything other than laboratory grade distilled water.

This is a Vaillant, not some cheap boiler that you expect to fail.

No where round here is anything close to £100.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses - certainly looks like it did only come with the 2 year warranty. Disappointing that part of it has failed at such a young age - the main reason I went for Vaillant is that I thought they were the best and it would give me many years of issue free service.

Martin

Yes, I've made the mistake of buying from that lot before....parts cobbled together from who knows where and absolutely no backup. Costs you far more in the end.

Yes, I've made the mistake of buying from that lot before....parts cobbled together from who knows where and absolutely no backup. Costs you far more in the end.

Must admit i just did a search and posted the cheapest price :mrgreen:

I've never used that site! Still £119 inc from my local trusted parts supplier. Hardly a con if you put it into context.

I had to pay £200 for a ravenheat gas valve the other day (was just a slightly adjusted honeywell valve that should have been half the price!)

Now thats what i call a markup :mad:

Yes but the Ravenheap was a cheap boiler to start with.

So many of the Vaillants on my patch have leaking diverters, leaking hoses, rattling Wilo pumps, failed vessels, failed pressure sensors, filling loops letting by etc. All down to poor quality components. Germans...rip of merchants of Europe :rolleyes:

Fair point! Just out of interest, what do you install?? I'm guessing gashes??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back