Vaillant Ecotec pro and smart thermostats

The answer is heating zoning, and the solution is Evohome.

Is this always the case? Would the size and type of property and occupants requirements make this unsuitable in certain situations?

I looked into this a few years back, but decided it wouldn't suit my needs. I came to this conclusion after playing with the existing TRVs to reduce the temp of unused rooms and discovered that overnight the whole house became colder. I guess this was because theres no insulation between the rooms (stud walls) so the rooms slowly leek and leach heat to reach a near similar temp throughout the house.

I can see the advantage of heating zoning if you live in a large house and/or happy to leave the heating running over night.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the Heat Genius system, it is obviously a competitor, of sorts, to the Evohome system.

Whilst it is nice being possibly the only HG installer on here, they make some play of it being a simple DIY install, with no plumbing.

But they don't mention a bypass, which many systems will need plumbing in.

The system uses Horstmann relays and a thermostat. The thermostat is required because, as far as I can see, the system will not work if the ipad or iphone dies or goes flat

I'm guessing/assuming the valves are EnOcean, which is a notional standard, rather like Opentherm. Their functionality is limited to ensure compatibility.

In short, it looks like a hobby system. Loxone also offer similar stuff; but they've all got years of product development to get Honeywell worried. Or me for that matter, I've had 3 Evos a week going in for over a year now.

3 this week for me too Today's was Hot Water, 4 rad zones with Hr92 heads and a mixed circuit on the HM80.

All to replace a rather mullered Smile
20160119_105230.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back