Vaillant ecotech plus 831

dave we have advised OP of this, but are trying to eliminate any air issues before confirming the pressure switch. it looks like it will be the switch or muck stopping it working.

Sponsored Links
Ok. What colour is your pressure switch? If it is the old orange one then I would suspect this.

17mBar at gas valve inlet is ok, as ecotec will lose 3mBar between gas pipe connection under boiler and gas valve test point.

I agree with others, this will not be a gas issue.

Where do I find the auto air vent cap so that I can check that ? on the display panel when I press the ‘ – ‘ button it show’s a reading of 1.7 / 1.8 bar.
Haven’t cleaned out the magnaclean – should I and could this help this situation ? is it just a matter of taking the top off it and pulling the rod out and cleaning it ? If it’s the pressure sensor then I guess that this will need replacing - right

best to eliminate all external factors first.

check magnacleans website if unsure of cleaning,but do it, then re pressurise system if needed. boiler manufacturers instructions will show where air eliminator valve is on your boiler.

best of luck, you are getting there!

Sponsored Links
Pressure gauge on the front or pressure switch - The gauge is white with blue and red line. Underneath I don’t have a switch to adjust pressure. I use a screw driver and turn 2 screw like things and hear the boiler filling up – the ones that have the shower like cable connecting them under the main face of the boiler

The pressure switch my colleagues refer to is inside the boiler, you are looking at the guage.

The pressure switch monitors the water pressure* (rather than displays it) and as discussed the revised more reliable version is black, your boiler manual will show you where it is.

*if you press the minus button this is the transducer it reads from.

ok what you are describing is your boiler pressure gauge and your external filling loop.
you are spot on you open the filling loop,pressurise until the gauge reads between 1 and 1.5 bar.
now try venting all your raditors,removing any trapped air.once all rads are vented go back to the boiler and,if you need to, repressurise to between 1 and 1.5 bar.

cleaned magnaclean yet?
checked auto air eliminator yet?
after doing anything that takes water out of your heating system you will probably need to re pressurise system a wee bit.

don`t worry, we are getting there!!!

Can’t seem to get the top (where u bleed it) back onto the magnaclean – not back on tightened I guess as it doesn't come away fully - it seems pressurised. Pressure went to zero on boiler– tried to refill it by using the screws underneath and water cam p*ssing out the top of the magnaclean. boiler turned off – I don’t have the proper key for bleeding the magnaclean and used a screwdriver which seemed to work. How do I stop it form coming out the top of the magnaclean and fix the bleeding screw tightly? There was quite a bit of sluge build up on it.

to hand dont have magnaclean docs.
check their website for more info.
if you got top off to clean internals, take your time and try and unscrew and re fit top.
you are now trying to vent magnaclean, is it not just a radiator vent screw?

Magnaclean all sorted and fitted correctly. Boiler pressure topped up to about 11 o’clock. Boiler when turned on isn’t firing although trying to on occasions . No fault reported but boiler hasn’t fired – no hot water – boiler remains quiet when hot tap is turned on

Boiler no longer trying to fire. Faint humming when turned on and ticking from clock i guess – humming is very faint - no heating / hot water

Ok – when it was turned off I managed to get some hot water. When I put it onto ‘on’ the rads don’t come on and I can’t get it to fire up and no hot water. Seems intermittent in behaviour though. Although now turned off it hums slightly and then switches itself off.

Sorry – being stupid again no doubt. But when u mention the colour of the pressure ‘switch’ gas4you what r u referring to?? Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back