Vaillant EcoTech Pro 28 - Hive Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Need a bit of a sense check for a hive installation. We currently have a Vaillant EcoTech Pro 28 with no thermostat fitted and thought we'd go down the 'smart thermostat' route via Hive (I get a decent discount on them).

That said I just want to make sure that I have got it right in terms of the wiring:

Single-Channel-Hive-Wiring.png

This is a wiring example that I have found elsewhere but seems to be correct in line with the EcoTec Pro 28:
IMG_20171014_221627.jpg

Just wanted to make sure im on the right path before going ahead with it, I believe looking at some examples of other Vaillants 3 & 4 currently have a loop connecting them together and this should be removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
From what you have posted I will say it looks OK to me. If you don't have a room thermostat then terminals 3 & 4 should still be connected together by the loop which you will have to remove when connecting the Hive. You don't mention any time control though. If your boiler has external time control, then the terminals 3 & 4 might have be used for that. If so that should be removed and the Hive connected in its place.

However, are you sure that the terminals correspond to your boiler though? The wiring diagram for the Eco TEC Pro manual I have looks like this.

Capture.JPG

Hi Stem,

Thanks for your assistance. Which EcoTec model do you have, underneath the boiler it states EcoTech Pro 28 R1 (presumably revision 1?). There is a timer module built into the boiler already as a control panel to the boiler, not as an external unit.

There are several wiring diagrams within the actual manual all presenting the information slightly different however this particular image showed the main PCB connections.

Vaillant seem to use lots of different wiring configurations. But if the drawing you have posted reflects the reality of what you have, then what you have drawn is correct. The boilers internal time control would need to be set to be permanently 'on' once the Hive is installed otherwise it will override it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stem,

Im working away at the moment so have made the asusmption that the diagram i have in the manual is correct. In the isntance that it isn't and the board represents the one you posted what would the wiring look like for this?

Thanks again for your help!

If it is like the diagram I have posted, then wire the Hive N & L to the boilers N & L and Hive terminals 1 & 3 would go to the boiler terminals marked 24V DC room thermostat (RT 24) after the ubiquitous link is removed.

If you are in any doubt post a photo of your boiler's wiring terminals later and someone will be able to confirm.

Sorry to go back to an old thread here. But I'm currently trying to do the same thing here, fitting a hive to a Vaillant EcoTec Pro boiler. I recently had my boiler serviced an had a look inside while the engineer was here. My boiler matches the diagram in the first post with terminals marked: - + 7 8 9 L N E 3 4 5. However in my boiler 3 and 4 are linked out as discussed and my current wireless room stat receiver is wired into the BUS - and + terminals.

Now I was hoping to just swap wireless receivers like for like leaving the boiler wired as is. Will the hive work off this BUS connection? Or do I need to move the 2 core cable to terminals 3 and 4??

The Hive doesn't have a BUS connection facility, so if you want to have one. it would need to be wired to terminals 3 & 4, and the link removed.

My qualifications are electrical, so I'm not au fait with the intricacies of your particular boiler. However, if you have to open up the 'room sealed' part of the boiler access the wiring terminals, that is not a DIY project and should only be done by a Gas Safe engineer who can then carry out the necessary safety checks afterwards.

Hi guys, sorry to go back on an old thread but only now I'm researching into buying a hive system. I'm ok with typical DIY electrics but when I first looked at the system it baffled me a bit (I haven't bought it yet) but looking at the above diagram, is it really a case of following that one? (the 1st pic by CNSam)
if it is I can probably give it a go to save about 60quid.(I also do not have an external thermostat) I've added a pic of my control panel, I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me, thanks all.
Regards
Gidion
pic1.JPG

but looking at the above diagram, is it really a case of following that one? (the 1st pic by CNSam)
Yes, that's all it is.
The white link in 3&4 is removed, the new thermostat connects there instead.
A thermostat is just an on/off switch, connecting the two wires together when heat is required.

Hi flameport, thanks for replying, so where the live and neutral are I just add the new wires to them? I.E. 2 cables in the same terminal?

Hi flameport, thanks for replying, so where the live and neutral are I just add the new wires to them? I.E. 2 cables in the same terminal?
yes that is correct and remember if your boiler has any sort of timer this must be set to constantly on and let the hive run everything

You will need the single channel version of the Hive. And yes N & L are straight forward.

The wires presently in A & B go to the Hive (1) Common and (3) heating on. It doesn't matter which way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back