Vaillant Flue Roof Tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've noticed a wet patch in my ceiling directly below where the boiler flue exits the roof space. I've attached a couple of photos of the flue because it looks as if there may be a specific tile missing.

The boiler is a Vaillant Ecotec plus 618. The Vaillant flue instructions references an adjustable roof tile 009076, and a flexible pitched roof seal 303 980, but I can't find where it says to use the roof tile. Do I need the Vaillant roof tile AND roof seal?

http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/d...ion_manual.pdf

I'm assuming the problem is with the roof and there isn't a problem with the condensate drain from the flue?

Thanks for any help in advance, I'd like to know the cause before I call in the professionals!

Wilf.

Sponsored Links
Unless I am missing something, or being dense, it is fitted wrongly. So wrong, I feel I MUST be missing something!!

The the bottom of the flashing should be above the tile below. Think about it: as it rains, water will fill the void and run into the loft space. If you have only had a little water, it will probably be because it is running onto the felt, and down to the gutter.

Who fitted it, and how long ago?

It's been fitted for 5 years now but I've only just noticed the stain on the ceiling. The delay could be down to the insulation in the roof space absorbing the water perhaps?

The builder who built my conservatory/utility room fitted it and to be fair to him has done a good job on everything else which is why when I first saw it I thought it must have been done correctly. But I admit it doesn't look right.

Sponsored Links
That looks fine to me , as long as weather slate runs under the tile it makes no difference whether roofer cuts tiles around slate or not , looks neater this way as opposed to cutting tiles around slate , do it this way many times with no issues.

CM. i think I understand what you mean, but I doubt if the OP does! And, yes, it does look neater.

But, if you look at the original photo, i think the flashing attached to the flue is too low to possibly fit above the next tile down. Even if the flashing has been bent up, to fit between the two tiles, it is probably spilling to the side, under the tiles.

I know what i mean, anyway. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean , gasman ;) But not being gas safe I`m not familiar with the flue and it`s flashing as supplied :oops: However I`m sure that the flashing , if raised one tile and sealed underneath with leadmate , or similar will then be OK - but being a gas flue , must it be done by a gas safe guy , or can a roofer do it ?

Even with overlaps on bottom tile driving and heavy rain will force it sidewards which will be open .

OP as you have climbed up there to take picture climb back up and seal it with a strong mortar mix

It won't be a problem to strip the tiles down to the flue then I can see what's in place and what I'll need. That shouldn't be a big job :confused: hopefully!

Will probably post more photos when I've done that.

What concerns me more is fitting the Vaillant roof seal, will I be able to remove the very top end of the flue and just put the seal over it OR will I need to remove the main flue and push it through the seal?

Will have to wait and see.

Thanks

Be VERY careful. Any work "up top" MUST be followed by an inspection of the flue in the loft. If any joint is disturbed, it would be dangerous.

I think it should be a gas safe job. If you want to look, carefully lift the lower tile, and you should see the flashing (attached to the terminal), sitting on top of the next tile. If it isn't then it is wrong. Even if it is, as I and nAMSAG suggested, heavy rain water may spill sideways.

My gut feeling is that, as you clearly have water coming through, it should be repositioned. Try phoning a local RGI, explain the situation and ask him for an estimate, and on what terms he willcalculate his final bill.

One possible danger of effectively raisng the flue slightly, is that you may need a new length inside.

I know what you mean , gasman ;) But not being gas safe I`m not familiar with the flue and it`s flashing as supplied :oops: However I`m sure that the flashing , if raised one tile and sealed underneath with leadmate , or similar will then be OK - but being a gas flue , must it be done by a gas safe guy , or can a roofer do it ?

Is Wilfx actually you Nige?

No :D I just left the gas side a long time ago - just as powered horizontal flues were coming in ;)

This is what it looks like with the tiles off.

Looks as if the Vaillant roof seal is already in place, but the edge at the bottom of the picture is a little low letting water into the roof space.

I plan to bend the edges up and I may trim the roof tile shown here to allow a bigger channel for the water to escape.

Thanks for all the advice.

This is what it looks like with the tiles off.

Looks as if the Vaillant roof seal is already in place, but the edge at the bottom of the picture is a little low letting water into the roof space.

I plan to bend the edges up and I may trim the roof tile shown here to allow a bigger channel for the water to escape.

Thanks for all the advice.

The bottom edge should be on top of a tile. I can't quite work out if that is the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back