Vaillant Turbomax 828 flue problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant Turbomax 828 Flue problem - a bit long winded but bear with me

The above boiler was installed around 10 years ago. Have had a variety of replacement parts, diverter valves, new fans, switches, etc. It has been regularly serviced by Vaillant for the first few years and has been under a British Gas contract for the last 6 years. Magnaclean fitted to system a few years back (not by BG). Had a problem latter part of last year and BG sonically cleaned the secondary heat exchanger at the same time. Despite the numerous replacement parts I can't fault the heating / hot water supply.

Unfortunately, on refitting the heat exchanger the seals weren’t good and just had to call BG out as boiler wouldn't fire up. 3 small leaks were identified where heat exchanger had been removed with water dripping into PCB so new PCB, re sealed the leaks and changed a valve just in case.

All looked good but engineer couldn't get it to pass emissions. Came back following day and cleaned it thoroughly but still too high. Thought may be a block in flue so took it to pieces and found a problem with one of the seals. Couldn't get new seals so bought new flue system to pinch seals from it. Still no joy. I'm sure the experts have guessed the next step. Checked the flue length, vertical flue, comprising 2 x 45 degree bends (100cm) , a 90cm and 75cm straight and the straight going out of the roof coming to about 3.6m which is apparently about 40cm too long!

I can't fault the engineer as rather than leave and say the flues too long he then ordered a new fan and fitted it the following morning. Thankfully this did the job and emissions were within the acceptable limit. Left a notice saying not to current standard and all currently OK.

The question is what do you advise I do about the flue. I could probably have the existing 100mm flue moved a few roof tiles and just about lose the 40cm but I would be close to a roof valley and closer to the eaves. Is this a problem and can you cut Vaillant flues.

Would a new 125mm flue be a solution as I understand this can go higher but is it compatible with the boiler. Having seen the cost I think I'd prefer to stay with the 100mm.

I could do nothing as it's been like it for 10 years (Vaillant or BG never identified it as a problem before) and assume the life of the fan is around 3 years although this worries me. We have a couple of detectors near the boiler and in a loft extension but neither has ever been triggered.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the engineer done his job he has told good out come which is ncs
i would maintain the anual service to keep eye on it but as long as bg ask you to move the flue then your in the clear
it`s know running clean and you have co detector(aduible one) next to boiler so happy days

Roll with it until the boiler is replaced.

Sounds like BG have lost loads of money on your boiler; some of it due to a moody installation.

i would maintain the anual service to keep eye on it but as long as bg ask you to move the flue then your in the clear
thanks for the reply, did you mean as long as BG "don't" ask for the flue to be moved it's OK?

Sponsored Links
Roll with it until the boiler is replaced.

Sounds like BG have lost loads of money on your boiler; some of it due to a moody installation.

Simon

think you're right about the cost, if I could get the case replaced I'd virtually have a new boiler!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back