Vaillant heating predictions etc.

Sponsored Links
We have thermostats on all radiators but I can't believe we have to turn them off every night and on again every morning. Don't worry, we will try to get help from Vaillant again, I'm not sure I'm getting my problem across. Turning the heat curve down again means it takes 3 hours to heat up on a cold morning.

We have thermostats on all radiators but I can't believe we have to turn them off

That's not what was meant - look at Evohome (the system I have at home).

I'm not sure I'm getting my problem across

We are.

Turning the heat curve down again means it takes 3 hours to heat up on a cold morning

Yes... But the boiler will run at a more efficient level. Whether that efficiency gain is worth the extra running time is another matter altogether. Assuming it is a combination boiler, it will also be massively oversized which is not without its own problems.

Sponsored Links
We are just normal people, not experts in central heating, boilers, vsmart, etc. and there's no info available. Our plumber fitted the boiler etc. But he doesn't know how the vsmart technology works. Other plumbers have said they don't like installing vsmart as they've not had sifficient training so can't help either. It's just all so frustrating.

That's why we're giving you this advice. Vsmart, to my understanding is not very smart, although the current version is an improvement. I have a very low opinion of the Vaillant products, but I do understand that ordinarily they have very efficient controls; if not very user friendly.

However, the logic that sits behind many of these smart controls is pretty universal. It is how it "configures" the boiler that makes them truly clever.

The vsmart may not be suitable for you from the sound of it, its trying to learn , the more u adjust it the longer it takes.. they are ok, a (bit more reliable than evohome that some used to push eh dan lol) as said once its gone through its 2 week learning period they work well. They then become automatic an u forget u have em. Mine maintains comfort fine , it doesn't. Come on at random times now, but it sounds like u have sent it mad by adjusting it constantly. Not ur fault really, its down to ur installer

I think your problem could be setting the low temperature far too low , 12C in my view is far far too low, and it may have something to do with it that modifies your curve, I would set the lowest setting to something like 17-18C, and this then means during night your house won't get any hotter than 18C and in the morning an hour before you awake up, it should reach the desired 20-22c far more quickly. You could only try it if all else has not worked for you.

bit more reliable than evohome that some used to push eh dan

Evo is perfectly reliable if you follow the guidelines; and of course you're not called Lee or Kim ;).

Not ur fault really, its down to ur installer

This is the biggest problem with most of these smart controls. Evo too. I make more money fixing installation cock ups than I do fitting it.

The biggest problem with fitting smart controls is that they assume that your radiators are correctly sized for your home when in reality the radiators and pipes will be about 20 years old even though your boiler is new it doesnt mean you have an efficient system so the smart controls can not do what they are designed to do

Thank you for your advice. I know I keep fiddling, I really do want to not have to! I've changed the night temp back up to 16 as that's the default.

We had all new radiators fitted too, they were all measured for room size and output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back