Valiant Turbomax 282 E low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning my boiler stopped working.

The CH seems fine, but the hot water taps aren't working. Water comes out but its cold. If I turn on the CH the hot water taps start working.

I noticed the pressure was at 0. So I assume that is the problem, I have had a look on the forum and it looks like I need to refill the pressure via the filling loop. Only problem is I have no manuals and all the online manuals are for the newer version. Mine is about 8 years old with no LCD panel. Does any one know where the filling loop is on this model (Valiant Turbomax 282 E)? Again on the forum people are suggesting looking for a silver pipe with either a screw or a washing machine type valve, I can’t see any of this inside mine :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also if any one has a PDF of the old manual, that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Filling loop is probably under the boiler somewhere - search the forum for detailed advice and pictures.

The boiler is probably suffering from a failed diverter valve/microswitch/stupid white plastic foot.

Sounds like diaphragm in the divertor is also starting to go which is why you have to have heating on to get HW

Thanks for the response.

There is hole at the bottom of the boiler the a screw that you can turn but it didn't effect the pressure gauge. Are there 2 screws that I need to turn? All the other online help talks about some kind of plastic washing machine style switch, which I don't seem to have.

Micro switch went a about 3 years ago and was replaced

Sponsored Links
These have 2 screw type valves if I remember correctly. Only once both are turned will the pressure increase.

You have a VUW Turbomax boiler (black lower panel with green knobs).

Lift off the top panel, remove left hand screw and lower control panel - model number etc will be on the label.

You also have the wrong manual. The Turbomax PLUS has a built in filling loop - completely different boiler.

You have an external filling loop. It will normally be below the boiler (perhaps behind a washing machine) or maybe in the sink cupboard.

As said before no hot water is often the diaprhagm, microswitch or bow (little white plastic lever). None particularly easy to swap.

Yes, diverter has probably failed.

You are lucky its still doing anything with no water pressure!

Tony

Thanks for the help, but i can't find any external filling loop. I opened it up a bit more and now I’m even more confused what looks like the right kind of tap is on the out pipe for the CH. Played with a bit but nothing happened.

I think its time i phone a plumber. any rough idea of how much this should cost and how long it should take. Depending on if its:
Just filling the pressure
Diaphragm
Failed diverter valve
microswitch (on I know the answers to this one it happened about 3yr ago ) £60
Stupid white plastic foot

Well there is one somewhere.

Just filling the pressure - call out charge if there is one - a decent drink if not.

Diaphragm/Failed diverter valve - one hours labour (maybe two) plus valve.

Stupid white plastic foot - dunno if this is a separate spare, but see above.

Still having boiler problems!
The repair man I normally use can't find a diverter value any where :(
he has tried about 3 suppliers.
Does this sound normal?
I tried calling ezypart and they don't do it for that model? (Valiant Turbomax VUW 282 E)

Is it worth just getting valiant to fix it they charge £210 parts and labour

He's not trying hard enough then. I have at least 10 merchants within 10 miles.

Did you find the loop?

Why is he changing the diverter I've only ever had to replace the bow and lower diaphragm on these boilers and Vaillant sell a refurb kit.

Gas appliance spares01772702755 part number VA8204 PRICE £108 plus vat next day delivery. Thats for complete valve,, diaphragm is only £4 pat number VA6504..

That i providing it is a VUW 282 TURBOMAX

Thanks guys, but i called valiant yesterday and booked them.

I just got fed up of waiting around for plumbers and begin given different reasons feels a bit like info overload.

gasguru or any of the other guys if you think you can sort it with a refurb kit or even replace diverter and serve the London E14 area and can be here by Friday give me a call before the end of the day. As i think valiant have a 24 hour cancellation fee.

BTW the problem went in reverse for a while, when i open the hot water the CH goes on! but now HW has stopped again

Having a bad week, my fridge went too :( luckily that sorted now (sort of)

I found the filling loop. Thanks for the help, it was under the sink. It just took a bit of luck at I couldn't follow the pipes as they were all behind built in units

But for any other armatures out there an external filling loop can look totally unrelated to the boiler but is just a flex loop that has a tap or screw on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back