Valliant ecotec 837-hot water working but no central heating?! HELP please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a house recently and it's been a few months since the boiler has been switched on. I just filled the water up to around 1.5 bar and turned the boiler on.

the hot water works fine but the heating doesnt. i turned the thermostat on (i assume this is the thermostat because it seems to fire the heating up + i dont know what else would be the thermostat).

the boiler seems to react and start turning the heating on, i felt one of the heaters and it started feeling a little warm too. then i realised that after awhile, it seemed to turn the heating off. the thermostat turned off too (green light turned off).

i have no idea what's going on

can anyone help me get the heating working pls? i know it was working when the owner left for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Was the system completely empty? Did you bleed the radiators?

i cannot rememerb if it was empty to be honest. i bled the radiators if that's what you mean? i dont know how to do any more than that.

Sponsored Links
i got the boiler going a while ago, just no the heating. i turn the thermostat on and it starts getting the heating going but then turns the heating off after a while.

i went just now and pressed "i" on the boiler and it shows the code S30-which i believe means no heating demand. so is it the thermostat that's got an issue? confused.

S codes are status codes not fault codes.

Ok lets start again.

Here's what I understand so far:

• Day 1 you topped the system up to 1.5 bar and bled the radiators. No heating.
  • Day 2 the system was empty so you topped the system up to 1 bar. No heating.

Is that accurate?

• Day 1 you bled the radiators then topped the system up to around 1 bar-it may have been less. No heating or hot water.
  • Day 2 the system was empty so you topped the system up to 1 bar-ish. Hot water working but no heating. pressed t-stat button ON and started the heating (went to 1.5 bar-ish itself) but then shut down itself. it's done this a few times now when i press the t-stat ON button.

I'm sorry but as far as I can tell you keep giving slightly different information.

Maybe someone else with more patience will come along to help, otherwise I suggest calling a plumbing and heating engineer.

it's sort of complicated, i wanted to give a brief overview at the start, i didnt know it was a big issue. the 2 bullet points i've written are 100% correct. apologies for confusion. i would be most grateful if you could help.

i did not do this! i'm a total noob with this stuff. shall i do this now?

Not saying it is the answer to your problems, but it needs doing on these boilers after refill from empty and before turning on. I believe that not doing it can cause damage to the boiler.

Make sure the cold pressure of boiler is between 1.2 and 1.5 bar then run the program,.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back